1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zipper Function

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by RocketNut, Jun 12, 2019.

1. RocketNut

RocketNut Alibre Super User

I just notice a "Zipper Sketch" function. What does this function do? I could not find it in the help manual.

2. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Where?

3. RocketNut

My bad it's called "Stitch Surfaces".

The attached screen shot shows the icon (which looks like a zipper)

Stitch Surfaces.jpg

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Look in Help - under Surfacing.

5. RocketNut

OK
    Thanks I will check it out.,

I really do not under stand the Surfacing functions. What are they good for?

6. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

Headaches :D

I modeled a part based off a Surface that was imported from a 3D scanning company we hired to detail a corner of a Harley-Davidson luggage trunk several years back. We needed to design a stamped steel bracket to fit tightly against the trunk so our part would sandwich between it and another mating piece without creating any gaps in the bodywork. I spent probably 2 weeks trying to get a usable solid model out of it that I could work with before giving up and Secret Squirrel-ing the file off to a buddy of mine so he could send it back to me as a solid STEP. Then there was another couple of weeks trying to Cut away at the model to get it to the desired shape. I was running into errors, at one point I was taking advantage of a glitch in the Extrude Boss tool to remove material, I hit a couple of Alibre's developer break points...it was a nightmare.

Even after I finally got it "done", getting it manufactured was a mess. We tried doing it in-house and I attempted to draw a set of dies (having exactly zero education or knowledge on how press dies are made), after that utterly failed we farmed it out to another local tool and die shop, which was then delayed when the guy they had working on it suffered a stroke. Apparently he aimlessly wandered out of his house one evening and walked off down the street, finally keeling over in a ditch 2 miles away where someone found him and called an ambulance.

If I never work with Surfaces again it'll be too soon. I'm convinced that entire project was cursed.