1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrap around?

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by john_m, Mar 16, 2019.

1. john_m

john_m Member

Hello,
    I wonder if anyone can suggest a way to wrap the rectangular bar down the edge of the raised plate and along (in contact) with the larger rectangular surface? This is so that it is in contact with the upper face of the raised plate, the large lower surface and as much of the edge face as possible just as it would be bent in real life.

Thanks for any help.

john_m

Attached Files:

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

What you're describing is a Sweep.
    1. Define the Profile of the bar.
    2. Define the Path for the Sweep.
    If it cannot be created in one Sweep because of the inside radii then make the bent bar in several pieces that can be welded together.

Is this what you want?
    Sweep.png

You could also create the bar as an Extrude Boss:
    ExtrrudeBar.png

If you add some Fillets to the sketch it will appear to be bent into shape.
    ExtrudeBar w-Bends.png

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  3. idslk

idslk Senior Member

Hello @john_m,

the "stripe" is 0.84mm wide and 0.5mm thick, does it have a real world application?

Regards
    Stefan

4. john_m

john_m Member

Hello Harold,

Many thanks for those suggestions. Very much appreciated.

As I need the bar to be at an angle as in the attached file it looks a thought the sweep will be the best option if I can create a suitable pathway.
    I'll play around with it and give it a try. I'll also try the extrude boss approach as I don't know how to create the bar in several pieces and weld together.

Best regards,

john_m

5. john_m

john_m Member

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your interest.

Yes it does.

I'm creating a 3d solid model of a railway wagon in 1:76 scale and this is from one of the sides. It is a washer plate which holds the horizontal timber planking together with bolts through the plate and timber. I've attached an image to help the explanation. In real life it's 2.5 inches wide and 3/8 inch thick.

Best regards,

john_m

Attached Files:

6. idslk

idslk Senior Member

Hello john_m,

Ok. The material will be metal? The edges will be broken with a radius of approx. 0.1mm? You will bend it by hand in a vise?
    The dimensions are correct 0.84, 0.5, different end radii 0.6446 and 0.58434?
    Or will it be "only" a good looking CAD model?
    Which alibre version do you use?

Regards
    Stefan

7. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Hi john_m,
    A couple questions to better help you:
    What Alibre version / capability level do you have?
    Do you have Sheet Metal capabilities in your version?
    Would you prefer to make separate pieces as separate parts combined in an assembly?

8. john_m

john_m Member

Hi Stefan,

It will only be a 3D solid model and the wrapped bar is an integral part of the side complete with bolts as in the photo. When the side is completed it will be 3D printed as will the other side and two ends + floor. I'll then assemble them into a "box" shape.

9. john_m

john_m Member

Hello NateLiqGrav,

I use Alibre Design Pro V 12.1.
    I have a basic ability as I'm self taught as part of my hobby.
    I think I do have Sheet Metal in the program but have never used it. There's a tutorial on it in the program.
    I have only once tried to create separate parts and combine them in an assembly as I find it easier (until this kind of problem arises!) to do all the work as one model.
    So in the photo I am trying to create the complete side as one part, front and back. This may be the most difficult approach compared to creating separate parts and then combining them in an assembly. Maybe I should spend some time learning the assembly approach and possibly Sheet Metal for this kind of problem?

10. john_m

john_m Member

Hi NateLiqGrav,

The attached file here shows how far I've got and the approach I've taken as well as my level of ability.

Attached Files:

11. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Knowledge learned is never time wasted!

Assemblies are as important to 3D modeling as the parts. Take the time to learn it well.

That approach can work, but if you keep on with your hobby, eventually, lack of assemblies will jump up and bite you where you don't want to be bit.

I'm also a self taught hobbiest. Haven't earned a single cent with Alibre yet.:( I fully understand your position.
    The best of luck with your model. Post it in the gallery when it is finished so we can all enjoy it.

12. john_m

john_m Member

Hi oldfox,

Many thanks for the advice.
    Learning is not too difficult but retention at my age is the problem!!

I'll have a go at assemblies again, especially as some of the parts will be common to other projects I'm planning.
    I'll also have a look into the sheet metal program to see if there is bending in there and if the parts can be combined in an assembly with my initial creation.
    I've never made any money out of Alibre either and no intention of doing so. Purely an aid to my hobby. I've had a couple of dozen 3D parts printed at 16 micron layer definition and the detail put into the model is well worth the effort.
    If I get to grips with assembly (for sides, end and floor) then I'll post it in the gallery as you suggest. Never thought of that.

13. idslk

idslk Senior Member

14. john_m

john_m Member

15. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

John,
    You may have better results with an Extruded Boss. You'll have to create a couple of Planes though, one at the angle you need the other offset to the location.
    ExtrudedAngled Bar.png
    The jog location of the bar will take a little experimenting to get it where you want it.

16. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

I apologize. I meant the capability of the Alibre software version you had. Like Alibre Design, Alibre Design Professional, and Alibre Design Expert.

17. john_m

john_m Member

Hi Harold,
    Thanks for the further suggestion. I'm making progress as a result of it.

18. john_m

john_m Member

No worries NateLiqGrav.

19. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Not knowing the actual dimensions or angles of the angled members I just took a guess from Stefan's JPG.
    I had to do this in the Alibre 2012 version so everyone could see it. This example is only to show the technique I used. The actual dimensions
    and angles of the "wrap" will have to be used. And the holes will have to be added of course. They can be either on the plane or on the sketch.

Attached Files:

20. lamar

lamar Senior Member

Or it could be done in sheet metal that way it could be flattened.

Attached Files: