1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodworking Projects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushmeister, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Bushmeister

Bushmeister New Member

Where can I find resources for woodworking projects? I would like to see how parts and assemblies are managed in a project. Thank you

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Bushmeister -- What part of the world are you located in? [I am in GMT-8, the Pacific Coast of North America.] What kind of "woodworking" do you do as (say) kitchen cabinets are organized differently from (say)modular framing (etc.)? As a formally trained luthier I have a view that is different from most. However, my mechanical design background spans from pulp & paper to aircradt & spaceceaft to medical equipment & devices to consumer produts and farm equipment. Yes, weird and strange is "normal" for me. -- Lew

3. Bushmeister

Bushmeister New Member

Hello Lew, I'm in south central Indiana, about an hour drive south of Indianapolis. My CAD use in woodworking covers a pretty broad spectrum. I find myself using it a lot for jig and fixture design for woodworking, as well as, cabinet layouts and furniture design. As an electrical and controls engineer I've used AutoCad since the early 80's (yeah, back in the DOS days....lol). I no longer have the luxury of the corporate 'seat' for ACAD but still have the need for the tool. I looked at several packages out there and recently settled on Alibre. So far I'm pleased and impressed with it. Wow! I've wanted so badly to build instruments. I have the skills and the patience for it, but no mentoring near by. Feel free to email me directly, love to continue the subject. Thanks for the note.

4. BobSchaefer

BobSchaefer Member

Bushmeister - I primarily use Alibre to design my woodworking projects, along with theatrical sets, both as hobby though. I can offer up thoughts and ideas and offer suggestions from my perspective as well. I don't have any professional experience to offer in these areas, just what works for me!

5. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Bob -- Bushmaster and I have been discussing doing a GoToMeeting to organize our "communication." Should you be interested in joining in, please e-mail me at tangent@olympus.net. Sharing our chaos and figuring out "solutions" falls into the "Good Things" category in my book. -- Lew

6. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

I wish Kelsey WoodWorks and his website was still around. If I remember correctly he had many good Alibre for woodworking tutorials. You might find some hidden in these forums too.