1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Global Parameters

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by KeithH, Mar 30, 2021.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

I was wondering what the difference between global parameters is vs regular parameters. I dont understand how it works differently. If someone could explain, I'd appreciate it: newbe here)

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

simonb65 likes this.
  3. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

that didnt help. but i thank you for the link. I dont understand. sometimes the answer seems easy to others when they forget that people are not on their knowledge level.

4. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

What is your understanding of what they do?

They are 'parameters' of a design, that can be defined 'globally', i.e. outside of the actual design and in a file that can be used by another design (global = shared).

The link is very straight forward and put in a clear and simple way. Although, you could look at it in the following way ...

Firstly, keep things simple. If you don't have an issue you need to solve, don't try and understand a concept that isn't going to help you or has no direct context to how it's used.

By that I simply mean that if the issue you have is that you need some way of defining the size (or configuration) of something based on a common set of 'rules' or 'definitions', then Global parameters are the solution. How you use them to define those parameters is outlined in the steps within the link from HaroldL.

5. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

thank you for your reply.

6. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Here is a video that @Max made, I thought it was part of the link I posted.

7. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

i want to sound in the most utmost respect because everyone here is very knowlegeable. But new people cannot understand what you guys say for answers. and to be responded like that is a turn off. it causes people to run. i paid for my program so im stuck with it. but anyone on a trial sees a response when they ask a question and they are belittled makes them just leave.

8. simonb65

Keith, my reply is not intended to 'belittle'. It is merely an attempt to describe what they are (in a non technical way) and to understand your thought processes and level of understanding. It's the same way I get my own engineers to look at problem solving. By getting them to ask themselves the question of what they are trying to achieve and how to find the best way of understanding that path.

Apologies in advance if you thought this offended or belittled. That was certainly not the intent. The intent was to help you understand.

I would add that if you are new to the tool, use the basic features for creating geometry until you are 100% comfortable with it before moving onto the advanced features. I've used Alibre Design for 13 years and have used global parameters for only a handful of projects. I suggest keeping the learning in small steps as there is a lot to learn and overloading with lots of new information does more harm than good if your not confident with the technical terms, etc yet. Again, I don't know your background or prior level of knowledge, so please forgive me.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  9. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

its cool. i just understand i'll never get my answers here for the most part. I bought a Yeti mic so i'll post youtube things for fun to help people with simple stuff that people here cant answer

The thing is theres a pandemic. theres no college, believe me im using a solidworks textbook from my local university to learn, and surprising it is the same (other than some different ui and the odd thing ).

but what i say this in the most respectful way there are 50 hobbiest people for every 1 professional, so the money is on teaching all, it works around.

the days of people going to college and this close knit group are over. technology changed that. now it up to programs to teach

10. simonb65

I would add that I am a business owner and would normally charge for consultancy! so giving time and experience to provide free advice on a forum to anyone is not in my interests other than helping fellow users, regardless of their hobbyist or professional status. So as you say, it works around!

wagnuts likes this.
  11. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

u made my point. thank you

12. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

You already know what the standard EE values are and how they can be used, right?

Global parameters are essentially the same thing except instead of being setup within a part and being relevant only to that part they are saved in a separate file (AD_GLP) and this file can then be inserted into any part or assembly file you like. Now you can control many/all files with one GP file. Used right this can be a huge time saver.

13. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

bigseb im on page 199 og this textbook. i dont knowwhat an EE value is i just wanted a laymans thing of it. i dont fully understand what you meant but i kinda do after you explained , so ill dig in further... i kinda do, so thanks

14. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Global Parametric or (variables) is a relationship between parts in an assembly or assemblies through an independent variable. That is for example, if you modify the width value (as independent variable)of the bookcase, all the widths of the shelves are automatically modified, or/and if you modify the height value(as independent variable) the two parts of the sides will be automatically modified and even more if you modify the depth value(as independent variable)all the parts of the bookcase will be modified and not going from part to part for the assemble full modification through its equation editor. In short you can make a base bookcase and get an infinite amount of variables based on the original.

15. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

EE = Equation Editor

When you create a part every single dimension of every single feature will be added to the EE. Automatically. You can then use these values to drive later dimensions (similar to how you can use mathematical formula in Excel). Open any of your parts and then click on the EE button and you will see all you dimesnions listed.

16. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

well regardless, i'll learn as i go. but im going to put videos up for the "dumb" such as myself, cause i know if im having trouble and when i figure something out, it might help someone else. thats my give back to to anyone but myself

17. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Now take that and consider it on a global level.

You can, after importing your GP file, instead of entering a dimension value in sketch mode or in a feature creation simply click on the fx button and select a value from you GP file. Like I say, huge time saver. One of the best things Alibre added to the software in years, in my opinion.

18. simonb65

Alibre has already done that for you ...

... but good initiative, that's what forums are about.

19. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

laymans terms. glorbal parameters vs parameters. (maybe i early in the book, but we havent covered it:just thought i'd ask) i have no idea what EE means, nor GLP file. I make my thing and saave it with a 5 minute thing.. I appreciate you bigseg, but act studpid and help. pretend your dumb. cause i feel like it right about know

i dont understand. no need to reply again bid seb. i will figure it out on my own when my book comes to it. thank you for your time

20. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

if i said i didnt understand it then why send me the same thing?

Not open for further replies.