1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What causes this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfleming, Mar 15, 2021.

1. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

What would cause this? Screen Shot Attached.

Attached Files:

2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

The red cross is the "default windows rendering of an application window" when an exception (error) occurred in the code (WM_PAINT handler) that normally draws the contents of that window!

So, a bug in the drawing code is the short answer.

What was the window or popup dialog supposed to be showing?

3. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Just trying to click the "orb" so I could export as a dxf.

4. simonb65

From your signature your not on the latest version, but I would still submit a ticket in case it hasn't been reported before.

5. simonb65

Should show this ...

upload_2021-3-15_18-59-23.png

So it's probably an error missing something like a valid reference/pointer to one of the items, or resources it needs, trying to draw on this popup.

Big question, is it repeatable? If it is, is it just the drawing here or all drawings? Do you have PDF creator installed (I presume the Publish to PDF button is dynamically added or expects PDF creator to be installed)?

Have a look in Alibre.Log to see if an exception was reported.

6. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Latest version installed last wednesday. not repeatable, i think it just hiccuped.

7. simonb65

Code doesn't just hicup ... it may follow a different path due to different stimulus/data/decisions, but there is one path and a certain set of stimulus that dialog really doesn't like! ... That's a bug. Just like taxes, it's guaranteed to happen again (if not to you, to someone else!).

8. captaine

captaine New Member

I would definitely file a report, as a bug is the mostly likely cause, but a hardware issue or radiation induced memory corruption are also possibilities.

9. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

I get this if I try to print a drawing directly from Alibre, the whole ribbon disappears and I have to close and restart Alibre. Which actually isn't that big a deal because I archive all of my drawing revisions as PDF files, so it's not that much extra effort to print from Adobe Reader instead.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  10. simonb65

Raise it as an issue with support, otherwise it'll never get addressed!

Problems don't get fixed by just brushing an issue aside as "not a big deal" and using a workaround, when there is clearly something wrong!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  11. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

Yeah but I'm like two or three whole versions of Alibre behind current release, so...meh? Feels like raising a technical issue would be mostly a matter of "get your cheapskate boss to put you back on maintenance, forehead."

12. simonb65

Probably! There were a few improvements made for similar issues that occurred when using network drives (i.e. when file access may be impeded by the delays and sharing issues associated with remote files), so the latest may fix it. I'm sure if you logged it as a bug the support would tell you to upgrade first anyway and see if it was still an issue!

So, "get your cheapskate boss to put you back on maintenance" !! ;):)

... or report it anyway. It could be totally unrelated to other fixes.