1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

viewer you can send to customer

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by BrianE.Evans, May 9, 2013.

1. BrianE.Evans

BrianE.Evans Senior Member

Does anybody know of a viewer that you can send to a customer with a set of files to enable them to open and view native Alibre files. I have been using PDF format for some of this, but this involves publishing to PDF and ensuring that the customer has a PDF reader that can read those files. ( I do send them a link to Adobe for a viewer free download.)
    I guess something like solid edge viewer or solid works E files, neither of which seem to work with Alibre.

For a while Alibre offered this, but it seems to have dissapeared now.

"Free Standalone Alibre Viewer lets anyone:
    •View native Alibre Design files and DWG/DXF files
    •Export STL files of Alibre Design 3D models
    •Create 3D section views and measure the model"

Is there anything out there I can send to a customer that I do not have to pay $ 300 each time to get?
    Brian Evans.

2. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

Attached Files:

3. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

....Scroll down.... :)

Attached Files:

4. MatsK

MatsK Senior Member

HOW to update and customer account and Viewer?
    My customer when they login to there account only has got the possibility to download the 2012 that they already have..?

/M

5. BrianE.Evans

BrianE.Evans Senior Member

I had done this before, it only worked for a short while, then Alibre wanted to sell the customer, Geomagic Exchange.

Brian Evans.

6. jevs

jevs Member

So, now with the latest version of GMD, there is no viewer option at all according to tech support :(

Also, I guess you only get one seat of GMD and you have to keep deactivating and reactivating back and forth just to view files on a different computer. It wouldn't be as bad if you could activate on two computers at a time.....

They need a regular viewer with no hoops to jump through that people can download and use easily! It's annoying that I cannot view my files on a different computer. Generating openable files every time I make changes and saving them out is not a viable solution when your changing/updating a design every day with a ton of parts.

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Don't bother at all with the viewer. Just like teh ACAD one, and most others, it is bulky and slow, major bloatware. Just the AD/GD program with nearly all the buttons and features grayed out.

Basically, it stinks... don't mess with it

It's better to "publish to PDF", since everyone has PDF reader, and it gives the main features you want anyway. You can turn the thing around, hide features, and I think I recall having had movable parts, but can't be certain I have done that.

One largish file, no need for the client to download anything, so no conflict with corporate license police.

8. jevs

jevs Member

There is no viewer to bother with now! Not if your on the latest version.

The suggestion is a horrible option for me. When I am in the middle of a design, I change/create lots of parts each night. I need to be able to view all my files on another computer during the day to show people or dream up what I will do next when I have a break during the day etc. I am not going to generate 100's of huge pdf's, or even regenerate the dozen parts I touch every night....

I need a native file viewer. If it is the full program with limited functionality, I don't care that it is big. They just need to offer something.

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

jevs - didn't your activation code say QTY 2 ?

Existing users with more than one install allowed were supposed to be granted 2 seats with the move to new licensing scheme... you should be able to run on 2 machines (even at the same time).

10. JST

JST Alibre Super User

For you,, it may be horrible, for the original poster, the PDF deal may be the best. It's a matter of needs

What you really seem to need is another install of G-D. Maybe a cheap seat of "Cubify" would do enough to let you do what you suggest you need.

However, it is no big deal, just a few seconds, to generate a PDF of the assembly, which you can "take apart" by hiding things. It may not be anything near as bad as you think.

It's cost-benefit driven. You have no viewer option from G-D, so what's left is to USE G-D itself, or a workaround like PDF or a STEP/IGES/STL viewer, if there is one. Both the PDF and STEP require generating a file.

11. jevs

jevs Member

I thought i was supposed to get two seats also, but I only got one...maybe I need to bug the sales guy rather than tech support. The "viewer", on the previous version, although hard to get worked good before. You could take measurements and stuff. .. I don't think u can do that with a pdf.

12. JST

JST Alibre Super User

No, it appears you cannot do measurements.

I never tried before, but it makes sense that you cannot. The PDF is just a version of rendered image, so the model stuff is not all encoded into it.

I thought you meant just looking and thinking, more than detailed checking. You CAN hide things and so you can look into the inside of the rendered model.

13. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

14. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Alibre Super User

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17659

15. jevs

jevs Member

Already using it! Either they got tired of my griping, were already working on this, or many were complaining. Either way, this is exactly what we needed! Now they just need to make it easy for non GMD users to find.

16. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Opening up what I hope will be considered a new tin of worms...

One thing that is needed is a "viewer" such that out customers and supporting shops can "view & review" our Alibre Design Part, Sheetmetal, and Assembly Models. I would "suggest" that such a user needs to see the Features area of the screen (as, hopefully, you rename your Features as you create them) as well as being able to "manipulate" the view and take measurements. This would solve many of the "problems" we face!

Mika likes this.
  17. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Lew - a non activated installation of Alibre Design acts as a viewer (after trial period has expired). This would seem to offer exactly what you are asking for.

18. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Ah, good to know!

19. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

I think there should be an explicit option on the activation page to "Run as a viewer". You don't want your customers put off by the thought of being hassled by someone getting in touch to ask how the trial was going! Not saying that would happen, just that it's likely to be expected :)

It would be best if this option preceded the page asking for your name, email and telephone number.

20. Mika

Mika Senior Member

We live on 2020 era of mobile devices. Android and iOS viewer would be recommended. For example I'll use my cloud storage for my alibre files, because I want to work on a road sometimes. That cloud project folder can be easily shared with customer via email. And with mobile viewer they could easily see the designs what I'm doing...

hradford5 likes this.