1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Version 22 Preview - Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Max, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Update - I've added a mouse cursor video and an Excel-based threads video. More to come soon.

It's that time again folks. We have a subset of the v22 features available for preview, and we'll keep adding over time.

https://www.alibre.com/version22/

Our plans for v22 are fully set - so let's keep the thread to discussion about what you do see there, not whether you might see something there later, as much as possible :D No bug fixes are yet shown.

We are targeting September 1, but that is subject to change. There are some big ticket features not yet shown as we want more certainty they will make the release before previewing them.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    IonSteve, MichaeeeL, Drutort and 14 others like this.
  2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

I'm lovin' every feature you've added/improved. Looking forward to release day!

Drutort likes this.
  3. oilman

oilman Member

Wow! The releases are getting better and better. Y'all are adding features I need and also adding features I didn't know I needed (but will certainly use!). Every one of these will be helpful... especially the improved sketch snapping... that is AWESOME!

Props to the Alibre team. Loving these frequent and impactful release cycles :)

jfnewman likes this.
  4. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

I really like the look of sketch snapping and images in 3d space for tracing. Those will make sketching much easier.

Does the new selection threshold work for selecting 3d things (edges, vertices, points, axis and such) as well?

jfleming and jfnewman like this.
  5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I like everything about this, especially the hole features driven by parameters. Too bad I'm not on maintenance.

6. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Fyi in the "Using Alibre Design" section of the forum the sticky post is still about v21.

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Seems like good stuff. The sketch improvement is one of the biggies for me.

Was excited when I saw the "library" stuff, but much less so when I realized what it actually was....... oh well......

Drutort likes this.
  8. danwilley

danwilley Member

++1
    I like everything I see and look forward to what's in "more coming soon". That multi-sheet PDF publisher will be a real time saver and less error-prone during the end game...for sure.

Dan

VoltsAndBolts likes this.
  9. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

Having become used to the View Cube in all of Autodesk's products, as well as a few others, I'm glad to see this.

Sketch snapping and visibility also a big improvement, as well as the material lib. Can see some thought went into the latter, would however also like to see a default colour/surface finish as part of it in the future...

Keep up the good work, I think Alibre is on the right path.

10. domcm

domcm Senior Member

@Max

Love the new upgrades! Two favorites so far are the snapping enhancements and multi-sheet PDF. Two questions:

1) How are default hatches controlled with the new material editor?
    2) To me, the view cube is too large and out of proportion with the rest of the interface. Would it be possible to make it smaller - see below. Or, better yet, a setting to have maybe three different sizes to pick from. I do like that it can be toggled on and off.

viewcube.png

11. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

With the multisheet pdf printing (and the std printing), can we have the window where you select additional sheets resizable? Which I guess would include the whole print window being resizable.

VoltsAndBolts likes this.
  12. Max

Yes. Agree. On its way.

simonb65 likes this.
  13. Max

Wait a bit. We have something cool. Is probably not exactly what I assume you want, but is on the road to get to what I assume you want, and Is cool nonetheless.

JST and simonb65 like this.
  14. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Will the threads be rendered in 2D drawing mode? Example below of what I'd like to see. This was generated from a a part with modeled threads, however.

Attached Files:

15. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Thd Designate.PNG
    Hi Jason -- But what about the tap drill and it's depth to clear the tap point?? Showing threads in (if you will) traditional drafting format would be much better from my knothole on the universe! -- Lew

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    jfleming and simonb65 like this.
  16. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

That View Cube again; would it be possible to combine it with a Triad, as per below (as an example). It will make for a less cluttered workspace, I also prefer the cube slightly transparent as it is less distracting (to my eye at least). I think for below case the transparency is also required to actually see the Triad if it is on the far side of the cube.

upload_2020-7-14_14-11-54.png upload_2020-7-14_14-15-46.png

Herewith a "hacked" version of the Alibre one (screenshot from the video) -- axes just arbitrarily positioned. Something like below.
    upload_2020-7-14_14-27-23.png

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    cadtec, Drutort and Engr62 like this.
  17. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

I would add that cube and/or triad visibility need to be user enabled options, we all don't need the clutter or full functionality of everything on screen! Sorry if that comment breaks @Max 's original request for this thread.
    Admin: Feel free to delete this comment to de-clutter the thread.

18. Max

They are both optional already. The video shows enabling the view cube and the triad is already optional.

19. Seppsche

Seppsche Senior Member

Max , if i remember correct, you mentioned a big improve in the user interface for V22.
    Why does nobody bother about the inconvinience in the usability of the equation editor!
    Since i can remember (Alibre V9) this thing drives me crazy:
    a.) no correct sorting,
    b.) no special characters like $§![]...
    c.) no automatic renaming of variables (you have to edit all instances by yourselve)
    This piece of software needs to be urgently updated for 10 years. It would have been better if Hoops had been introduced in V22 and the Equation Editor had been reviewed and updated to a usable level before.

I can hardly believe why you have been neglecting this part of the program for over 10 years!
    Just my 2 cts
    Josef

Drutort and danwilley like this.
  20. Max

We have a trajectory for the next few releases as follows:

v22 - what you see above (and some other stuff yet to be shown)
    v23 - primarily a bugfix / UI cleanup / usability cleanup release - a "polish" release
    v24 - UI/UX overhaul with usability in mind

What you describe is probably going to take place in v23 or v24.