1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V9.0 Alibre finally decided to upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oemcar, Oct 23, 2019.

1. oemcar

oemcar Member

Hello friends-
    Originally purchased Alibre in 2006- V9.0
    It has accomplished all I have needed it to do- designing gears w/ the circular repeat sketch function, automotive cylinder heads by lofting solid components, then locating in assembly function- adding imported IGES files of scanned port shapes, then melding w/ Boolean operation.
    Designing complex lofts, then balancing sketches to achieve single surfaces that were transferred to my CNC shop as Alibre natives downloading into Mastercam in my performance biz side
    Sent gear files as Step.214 exports for printing to 3D Hubs w/ great results- They are great people- IMO.

Then the inevitable happened- my 13yr old computer died- so went to Alibre. com and chatted w/ Tracey- But not without much chagrin on my part about the cost to upgrade from my 13yr old V9.0...
    Bottom line is Alibre quoted me a stellar price in which my upgrade would work w/ win 10-
    .. am happy to be an up-to-date Alibre user...
    Jim

Jonathan, simonb65 and NateLiqGrav like this.
  2. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Happy to have you back Jim! The dev plan is looking good, lots of fun stuff coming up you'll love. Don't be a stranger on the forums!

3. oemcar

oemcar Member

Gents-
    Plugging away trying to transfer previously used functions to new locations in my mind-
    Cant seem to locate the 'project to sketch' fct when orienting a solid to a desired plane... what am I missing??
    Thx,
    Jim

4. Max

5. oemcar

oemcar Member

Thx for quick reply-
    2 Q's-
    1- I have professional, not expert
    2- All of my V9.0 natives have the 3 planes shaded in this version, so I cant select 'em. But from what I saw in the vid- would that have made a diff?
    Jim

6. Max

Hi Jim, I'm not sure I understand. Can you screenshot what you're seeing? Professional vs Expert won't matter.

What do you mean the planes are "shaded"? Do you mean grayed out in the Design Explorer? If so, press Ctrl+Shift+P to unhide reference geometry.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  7. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Try turning off "View->Ambient Occlusion," "View->Ground Shadow," and "View->Model Shadow." They drive me nuts as well.

8. oemcar

oemcar Member

Ok-
    Had my references toggled off...lol. Found the project to sketch fct also-
    So far, so good.
    Thx,
    Jim

9. Max

Figured that was the culprit. Let us know if you have any other issue. Cheers!

10. oemcar

oemcar Member

This file was a nemesis w/ V9.0; now seems the same w/ recent upgrade-
    Attached native is assembly of (4) placed parts that originated as mirrored surface scans that were imported in V9 as IGES file, then boolean assembled.

Extrusion #1 shows up when V9 file is opened- but does not show when extrusion is reapplied in updated version explorer. Extrusion # 2 the same.

Cut Extrusion #3 results in - well- a box...

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

11. Lew_Merrick

I am not sure I understand, what I get when opening the file is raceplate_exh_(b)(rev_1).PNG +
    and, when I delete "Extrusion <3>" the "box" on which the "Imported SAT file" and "Extrusion <2>" and Extrusion <3>" remain. ??? -- Lew

12. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

When I edit Extrusion 1 it has zero depth, the same is true of extrusion 2, both of which are Bosses. Extrude 3 is a CUT so why is a box displayed? The only thing you should see is the ends of the imported SAT file trimmed off.

I think part of the problem is that the imported SAT file does not have any thickness.

Extrude1.png Extrude3 CUT.png

13. oemcar

oemcar Member

Yes-
    Extrusion #1 & #2 have disappeared. This happened after both Extrusions were recycled in the design explorer of this updated version. Even though the thickness shows .000" it was originally designed as .0001". Those 'wafers' are locator datums for alignment when exporting files into other softwares, like Solidworks and Mastercam. V9.0 geometry such as locating planes and points didn't transfer in IGES exports, so I had to align files with surface "wafers", hence the .0001" thickness for negligible Z axis offset when aligning.
    The Extrusion cut 'box' is complete other dilemma... As said, it is a surface file, so it doesn't have any thickness- may be that's the reason. But I will say I have other IGES surface imports, that, when imported and filed as .prt files like this one, could be Extrude Cut successfully. This is only file thats a pill.
    I'm including the original file from recent V9 backup, which, when opened, will show the Extrusion #1 & #2 'wafers' before they disappeared after recycling in the latest version.... oops, that file is 6.2mb. Too big to load- so apparently new Alibre shrunk the file size when loaded, recycled and filed- like the previous 4.4mb version above. So I winzipped it.
    Thanks for the help,
    Jim

Attached Files:

14. Lew_Merrick

Jim -- (1) Solid assumes Length, Width, and Breadth. Without those 3 criteria, you have nothing. (2) Remember that IGES stands for "Initial Graphic Exchange Specification" and that if is often quite poor a transfer tool for working design components. Whereas there are many things wrong with STEP (a french acronym) it is, generally, the best design geometry transfer mechanism. -- Lew

15. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

If the unit precision is set to 4 or more decimal places, the original extrusion depths display.

16. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

upload_2019-10-29_22-12-39.png
    Should it look like above?
    Started with your file and had "ghost"-faces...
    Then i deleted all except the SAT file and exported the file newly as a SAT-R28 file.
    I imported/opened the file, added the Axis<8> and Plane<6>, added a 90° Plane to Plane<6> and used a rectangle to extrude cut...
    It does not work with your original file...
    Regards
    Stefan

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  17. oemcar

oemcar Member

Stefan-
    I think you have successfully cropped this nemesis file, young man...
    May I ask why you added a perpendicular plane to define your cut sketch?? Did effort to accomplish same not work off Plane 6?

Regardless-
    Your insight provided on the export/ import fct must have redefined some crucial parameters that allowed this operation. I need to study up on import/export options w/ this latest Alibre version. I did same procedure years ago w/ V9 when exporting into surfcam due to voids in designed fillets... feel like I got the 'cheat sheet' here-lol.
    Jim
    ps- Please post that .prt file here, kind sir

18. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Jim,
    It looked like a problem in the downloaded file to me, so i decided to take another approach...
    Out of curiosity i tried it a few minutes ago with my file and it worked without 90° plane...
    No problem the new file will be attached...
    Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

19. oemcar

oemcar Member

idslk-
    Thanks much- Imported file is exactly what I was looking for-
    But what are these foreign terms in the design explorer?? Can they be interpreted as 'click' option in newest version Alibre? I've keyed thru newest system options as best this rookie can... but not finding??
    Any advise?
    Thx,
    Jim

20. oemcar

oemcar Member