1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v21 Preview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Max, Dec 17, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

https://www.alibre.com/v21/

is where we are keeping a public list of what we have in the works - if you're interested in following along as we develop and add to it. This isn't a full list - we add to it over time as we finalize stuff.

Edit 12/17: I have removed the new Material Library from this release - we will be doing this in the following 4 month release for a good reason that I cannot yet discuss. No other items on this page or that will be on this page will be subject to removal.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    anson, cadtec, Drutort and 12 others like this.
  2. Hunter

Hunter Member

Some nice new features, excited about the all Constraint improvements!

Would like to see another tweak to the Design Explorer... If you click on a part, it must automatically highlight the part in the Explorer.

MKR and DBC like this.
  3. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

...so if you have a assembly with lots of sub assemblies and parts, your explorer window will be always be in an update process...sounds very pesky to me...
    todays solution seems ok for me: RMB on a part/face gives :
    upload_2019-12-18_19-7-56.png

Regards
    Stefan

4. Hunter

Hunter Member

No, not quite like that. Basically, instead of RMB, just LMB (not hover). One less click. Seems silly, but it's again a habit learned from other software...

5. Max

Do a CTRL+Click on a part, which instead of selecting a piece of geometry selects the whole part. This does highlight it currently in the DE.

MKR likes this.
  6. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

for which operation do you need this? (and "other" software" is not automaticaly better ;-)
    ...does not open a folded subassembly to see the selected part...
    Regards
    Stefan

7. Max

He just requested highlight - not open DE to part location. We will not open the DE to the part location every time you click a part on the canvas - it would be very messy watching the DE scroll like crazy every time.

simonb65 likes this.
  8. oilman

oilman Member

Wow. The new constraint tools will be massively helpful. Thrilled to see the progress yall have made in such a short time :)

9. Jim C

Jim C Senior Member

OK, you have convinced me and I renewed my maintenance today!

Now, how about a universal "hide Reference Geometry". When aligning parts in an assembly I sometimes forget if I selected a sub-assembly or a part in the sub-assembly and have to hunt around to hide the reference geometry. Maybe this will not be much of an issue with the new constraints and not needed.

Thanks for the continued development.

Jim C

JamesMC, oilman and NateLiqGrav like this.
  10. MKR

MKR Member

It is beginning to look like christmas :D
    I can't wait for the next release!

/Michael

11. Hunter

Hunter Member

Yes, that works for me, thanks.

One quirk I noticed is that if you CTRL+Click on a part in the model space, and that part is a child of a Mirror or Pattern feature, then it doesn't highlight the part nor the parent feature in the DE. Or am I missing something?

12. Drutort

Drutort Senior Member

Things are looking great! Can't wait!

Max, not sure if this has ever been mentioned but I came across this idea.

When in assembly tree and passing over the constraints, I realized that a lot of times I had wished to see the actual data, most constraints only have one variable

Idea: show the value of that said constraint as a tool tip style as your hover over the constraint, make it a toggle option with font size, and duration

Why this is a big deal. When creating something really quick I noticed I do not spend the time to rename the constraints, and when I am a lot deeper in the design part I get lost and wish to look at a value that I need to change while designing, I know what it is but not sure on which constraint it is. Having to go and click either through the part constraints or the overall constraint area is very time consuming.

This along with keyboard mapping of rename feature universally is a big deal

so to summarize I guess 3 little things that get used on a regular bases and would like done
    1. tool tip of value of the constraint while hovering over said constraint (or maybe selection based pops up showing value)
    2. rename keyboard mapped so I can do it on the fly to just about everything in the tree
    3. option to remove the annoying constraint warning that makes you press the "ok" button, really slows down workflow

link to thread about the sketch constraint popup
    https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/i...move-this-popup-for-sketch-constraints.21380/

13. protarawizard

protarawizard Member

This would be beaut. Perhaps the "tool tip" has the layout of the edit dialog itself with an "Edit" button that jumps you to (or transforms it to) the "real edit dialog".

14. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I don't know how hard it would be to implement but adopting the Windows F2 to rename would seem the logical thing to do. But until it is, if ever, RMB Rename is the option we have.

Drutort and markporter like this.
  15. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hey Max -- And when can we see an "extension" to the Threading Tools to allow such things as Square, ACME/Sub ACME, Dardelet, etc. threads to be defined and applied? -- Lew

16. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

@GIOV , not sure you should be putting this stuff on YouTube. It doesn't represent what the guys at Alibre are actually doing! I certainly wouldn't be happy if you did that and used the brand name of one of my products. I think you should keep your 'ideas' to this forum and leave promoting the product to either Alibre or just make a review YouTube video endorsing the existing product.

17. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Ok simonb65
    I just try to give an idea of Alibre Home giving suggestions like 3D Surface that for me is very necessary.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  18. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

There is an established feedback mechanism for that! ...

upload_2019-12-27_9-41-17.png

Mika likes this.
  19. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

I know,
    I have submit my requirement several year and nothing yet.
    Regards,
    GIOV

20. Drutort

Drutort Senior Member

Yup I believe that rename is as import as delete (at times its even more important)

We have mass delete in the asm tree explorer of constraints, but we do not have mass rename, we do not even have mapping for rename

Organizing/designation in assembly is very crucial part of having a good work flow.

Organizing/designation in assembly is to 2D prints that are well defined and dimensioned

Grouping of constraints would be another great feature (as many have mentioned in past)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
Not open for further replies.