1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[V21] Highlight corrupt when adding part precise section view

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by simonb65, Apr 9, 2020.

1. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

This maybe an old issues, but it still happens with v21 and can be replicated by adding a precise sectional view and hovering over the surface to highlight it...

No view...
    upload_2020-4-9_22-10-20.png

Add sectional view (the view is part way up the model looking upwards from underneath) ...
    upload_2020-4-9_22-11-21.png

This is in HOOPS mode. Interestingly, the pattern changes with view window/zoom size.

2. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I get that sort of highlight also, and have for several versions now. This is build 20072

First view is sectioned surface highlighted. Second one shows the way it is cut.

Sectioned surface highlighted.png Sectioned surface.png

3. simonb65

@JST , thought I'd seen it on here before. Still happens in v21 too!

4. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I do not think it even requires a section view, since I have seen it on unsectioned parts as well

As you can see at the left, this does not have any section views in it, let alone enabled. Again, build 20072

Fractured highlight 5.png

5. simonb65

Might be a few other triggers, but it's easy to reproduce with a single sketch, extrusion and precise section view!

6. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

This is a graphics phenomenon known as Z-Fighting, for those interested. I'll see if HOOPS has any fix available or recommended approaches we can look at.

7. simonb65

I'm assuming from that, that the highlight 'overlay' is microscopically in front of the geometry surface, hence the interference? If it is, I guess that distance needs to be scaled based on the model units and view zoom??? to prevent it.

8. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

To be honest, I have no idea at this time. My guess is that it isn't microscopically in front of it, but rather exactly coplanar. We'll need to look at it, figure out if its graphics card dependent (probably not), and talk to HOOPS.

simonb65 likes this.
  9. simonb65

@Max , just wondering if HOOPS came back to you with their thoughts or comments on this?

10. simonb65

@Max , not sure if this is logged on your system, but regarding 'Precise Section View', in 21034...

If you select an existing section view and then edit it, there is another bug in that, the Apply button doesn't enable if you only change the offset value! ... and it should.

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Simon - like many fields in AD dialogues, you have to move out of the field to tell AD it has been changed, then the button becomes active.

I find it annoying too, but it is 'as designed' - though could probably be improved.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  12. simonb65

I totally agree with that, the general programming approach is that OK/Apply button validation (i.e when to enable/disable) is usually carried out in the edit/change event handler of controls, not when the focus changes. Hopefully we'll see some improvements as the UI is progressively worked on!

P.S. the Tab Order of the controls also needs to be fixed! Pressing Tab should step you through each control on the form/dialog in a smooth workflow from top left to the Apply/OK/Cancel buttons, not jump around the dialog. i.e. the natural way to move to the next entry in the process. Many of the Systems Options pages have this issue also.

13. simonb65

@DavidJ , do you know if the subject of my original post here is/has been addressed in v22? I was just looking at JST model (other thread) to see if I could reproduce it and find a contributor, but sadly not, but because it has a section view, it highlighted this issue to me again, which is what sparked my post #10.

14. DavidJ

Was there a support ticket associated with it, or a Development item number? If I have either of those I can try to check.

Assuming it to be a HOOPS issue, I know there are several HOOPS related items on the v22 list, but obviously Alibre may not be able to progress them if the fix is something that Techsoft has to either fix, or make changes to allow Alibre to address. A revised HOOPS was included with v21, I don't know what the timescale is for another update to HOOPS, nor what changes it will include when it arrives.

15. simonb65

No, just the post from Max that acknowledged it, I'm hoping from that, it was added to the issue tracker.

Thanks, that's understandable ... Fingers crossed!

16. tk1247

tk1247 Member

DavidJ
    Since AD switched to the HOOPS graphic engine, there have been a number of issues that have surfaced and have been attributed to HOOPS by Alibre, yet I have yet to have heard, and I'm not sure if I've seen all threads, if any of them have been definitely fixed by TechSoft. I see in the quote that a revised HOOPS was included with v21, but I'm not sure if it was stated anywhere what specifically was fixed in this new HOOPS, or what remains to be fixed or even can be fixed. Given the issues, it's clear why the legacy graphics setting is there.

To Alibre: You chose to switch the graphics engine to HOOPS to improve performance and features, but there have been admittedly, too many issues to date to be acceptable, especially to you. These issues appear unresolved, even after a considerable time.....can we know the timetable you've been given by TechSoft to resolve them?

17. DavidJ

For fixes history, see https://www.alibre.com/release-history/ and any linked pages. The lists may not be totally exhaustive.

HOOPS is more than Display, HOOPS is also the bulk of our 3D file translation, and PDF publishing.

A lot of issues have been resolved, more will be fixed in v22 - I don't have a timetable for all remaining issues.

Legacy Display is offered for where any issue is unacceptable (at least until it can be resolved).

It is all to easy to forget how many file import issues we used to get prior to swapping to HOOPS, also we were inundated with transparent face issues even in some native parts - these have largely been eliminated (though there are exceptions). Of course we'd have liked the transition to be smoother, and the Development team keeps working on remaining items.

[EDIT - also don't forget, with support for DirectX9 coming to an end, Alibre had to do something regarding graphics. Max posted at the time about the options and the reasoning behind the chosen path. There was no 'easy' path to take].

simonb65 likes this.
  18. tk1247

tk1247 Member

Thanks for the update - I was familiar with the published release history. File import improvements aside, graphics display quality and integrity remains the core requirement of a cad system, so HOOPS has to work. I remain hopeful that fixes for the remaining issues come sooner from TechSoft rather than later.

19. simonb65

+1

20. JST

JST Alibre Super User

This is a fact. Faces were disappearing daily before. It is MUCH better in that way, although we have had some issues such as the tiger stripes, and the transparency I showed at that time on the large file of a work area.

Speaking of that, I do not recall any resolution on that, it was "being investigated", and the issue and file were both described as "very odd".