1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using data from a .CSV file

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by bpimm, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jim C

Jim C Senior Member

Brian,

Attached is a PDF file that describes the steps that I have found to be useful for importing CSV data to make parts. It may seem like a bit of work but it really is simple and works for 2D as well as 3D sketches. The only requirement is that the imported data is in CSV format, the file extension is not important but remember the columns are in X,Y,Z sequence. I'm just using the XY plane this time.

Jim C

Oops, I was going to include the CSV data with a .txt extension just to show the extension doesn't matter but apparently it does matter here!
    Ok, so .CSV is not allowed either. Well, here is the data and it's in the PDF as well.

Attached Files:

2. bpimm

bpimm Member

hi all,

Thanks for all the ideas, We'll try them out as time permits and see what will work.

Thanks Again
    Brian

3. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

Brian,

Here is a V2011 (13062) file, please try. :)

Attached Files:

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Here is some information on building CSV files for import into the Equation Editor you may find useful. Apparently Alibre does not like OpenOfficeSpreadsheet files. I have a LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet template setup to create a history file of EE variables that will (semi-)automatically generate a CSV file for loading into the Equation Editor. E-mail me (tangent@olympus.net) if you would like a copy.

Attached Files:

5. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Let me see if I can fool the system by putting the ODS spreadsheet in a ZIP'ed directory...

Attached Files:

6. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Alibre Super User

http://rackspace.alibre.com/assets/Geom ... ts_New.pdf

:D

7. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Hi Lew,
    I am so interested that you do an example of import CSV file directly to Equation Editor. I read you tutorial but need an example to understand better. I have AD 11.2 and AD2019 but Prefer for AD11.2.

Thanks very much in advance, (The best for This 2020!)
    GIOV

8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello @GIOV ,
    what would you like to do with that?
    Regards
    Stefan

9. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Hi Stefan, Thanks for your response. I do like to do that because in my ordinary design time I use different AD versions, and I am trying to active in my old one, specially AD11.2 or 13 the GP(variables) concept as this tutorial (See ref Step7). Knowing import CSV file directly to Equation Editor may be is a good start. I am trying to follow the Lew’s instructions without results. For that I asked to Lew to do an example tutorial that may help in my task.
    References:
    https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/transform-nodes-to-points.19283/#post-120408
    See the step 7:
    https://www.instructables.com/id/SPREADSHEET--DRIVEN-PARAMETRIC-BOOKCASE/
    This is an old requirement of my topic's history.
    Thanks again,
    GIOV.
    Note: I edited the text.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  10. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello @GIOV ,
    i'm sorry, but for the versions 11.2 and 13 i'm out.
    Regards
    Stefan