1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using data from a .CSV file

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by bpimm, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jim C

Jim C Senior Member

Brian,

Attached is a PDF file that describes the steps that I have found to be useful for importing CSV data to make parts. It may seem like a bit of work but it really is simple and works for 2D as well as 3D sketches. The only requirement is that the imported data is in CSV format, the file extension is not important but remember the columns are in X,Y,Z sequence. I'm just using the XY plane this time.

Jim C

Oops, I was going to include the CSV data with a .txt extension just to show the extension doesn't matter but apparently it does matter here!
    Ok, so .CSV is not allowed either. Well, here is the data and it's in the PDF as well.

Attached Files:

2. bpimm

bpimm Member

hi all,

Thanks for all the ideas, We'll try them out as time permits and see what will work.

Thanks Again
    Brian

3. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

Brian,

Here is a V2011 (13062) file, please try. :)

Attached Files:

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Here is some information on building CSV files for import into the Equation Editor you may find useful. Apparently Alibre does not like OpenOfficeSpreadsheet files. I have a LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet template setup to create a history file of EE variables that will (semi-)automatically generate a CSV file for loading into the Equation Editor. E-mail me (tangent@olympus.net) if you would like a copy.

Attached Files:

5. Lew_Merrick

Let me see if I can fool the system by putting the ODS spreadsheet in a ZIP'ed directory...

Attached Files:

6. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Alibre Super User

http://rackspace.alibre.com/assets/Geom ... ts_New.pdf

:D

7. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Hi Lew,
    I am so interested that you do an example of import CSV file directly to Equation Editor. I read you tutorial but need an example to understand better. I have AD 11.2 and AD2019 but Prefer for AD11.2.

Thanks very much in advance, (The best for This 2020!)
    GIOV

8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello @GIOV ,
    what would you like to do with that?
    Regards
    Stefan

9. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Hi Stefan, Thanks for your response. I do like to do that because in my ordinary design time I use different AD versions, and I am trying to active in my old one, specially AD11.2 or 13 the GP(variables) concept as this tutorial (See ref Step7). Knowing import CSV file directly to Equation Editor may be is a good start. I am trying to follow the Lew’s instructions without results. For that I asked to Lew to do an example tutorial that may help in my task.
    References:
    https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/transform-nodes-to-points.19283/#post-120408
    See the step 7:
    https://www.instructables.com/id/SPREADSHEET--DRIVEN-PARAMETRIC-BOOKCASE/
    This is an old requirement of my topic's history.
    Thanks again,
    GIOV.
    Note: I edited the text.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  10. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello @GIOV ,
    i'm sorry, but for the versions 11.2 and 13 i'm out.
    Regards
    Stefan

11. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Stefan,
    Thank you for your good intention of trying to solve my AD requirement.
    GIOV

12. Lew_Merrick

Hi Giov,

In (V12 &) earlier versions of Alibre Desin there was a "direct to Equation Editor import function" for CSV data. The attached "missive" is something I wrote up for Andy when he included "CSV data handling" in WizoScript" sometime ago. I hope this gives you "ideas." -- Lew

Attached Files:

13. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Thanks very much Lew,
    I will study your "missive" paper.
    As you note in the link example AD 9.2 was very advanced into the integration from an independent variables to all part dependents variables without edit each part of the assemble.I think was made with AutoHockey and I have not been able to implement it in my old versions.AD11.2 32 bit.
    "We can add the same overall dimensional parameters to the Bookcase Assembly as with the parts, and replace the shelf spacing with a parametric equation as well. The spreadsheet link can now be used to update the common parameters in all part files and assembly files so that the entire model will update with changes to the defining parameters. For example, we can add all the new parameters with a value of zero in the Alibre Equation Editor.. As we link to the spreadsheet, pressing the Modify button in the spreadsheet dialog window will update the parameters to reflect the values in the spreadsheet."(12 years ago)
    For that tutorial I buy AD but wasn't implemented in the version that I have received.
    Year later GD implemented the same concept as GP (variables) but without direct link to the spreadsheet excel 2007.
    If I implement the system I will be more confident that Alibre Design is a real resource because I love the AD11.2 that update the design before quit the sketch. This feature is not in the latest versions. So will be a complementation between AD11.32 bit and AD 2019+
    Thank again,
    GIOV

14. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

I don't understand why someone would want to use 2 different versions at the same time. It would seem cheaper (from an hourly wage perspective) to upgrade all machines to the same version.

simonb65 likes this.
  15. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Because one machine is 32 bits an the other is 64. The version 11.2 32 bits has the feature to see the design updated without quit the sketch and the last one don't. For my it is a great feature for the preliminary design and save a lot of "hour wage. I buy three perpetual seats which include Alibre Motion, Alibre Cam, Design Check, Hipershot, AlibreVaul, Machinist tool Book and ETBX For Alibre Design. So the version 2020 only has the ADV2019...plus KeyShot. The AD 9.2 was with the assemble integrator like GP(Variables) and better. because if you see the example link, the Equation Editor variables was easy linked with excel spreadsheet. I am not the 9.2 version and I am only trying to implement this feature in my AD11.2 32 bits. If you help me in this task will be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    GIOV
    Note: Try to updated your web address of List of my programs for improving the Alibre Design user experience:
    upload_2020-2-1_9-57-44.png

16. Lew_Merrick

Hi Giov -- You may have (I hope) seen my posts regarding "expansion" of Equation Editor variables and my "request" to make them more powerful and useful. I realize that I regularly prove the Old Machinist's Adage (the one about being as "sharp as a drill and twice as boring") -- but that is nearly reflexive for me. -- Lew

17. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

I thought they were so obsolete that nobody was interested so I didn't add them after switching my forum over. I'll try to get them on there eventually. If there is a specific one you are looking for I will add it back up sooner.