1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Alibre script to create GT2 gears

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Kunstmaan, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Kunstmaan

Kunstmaan Alibre Super User

2. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

I've fiddled with that a bit, the profile of the teeth is called tractrix. There are patents by Gates that explains the shape of the teeth, but there are lots of ambiguity in the patents (on purpose, obviously), so not that easy to figure out. You can look at this patent: GT2 profile is described in U.S. Patent Number 4,515,577

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4515577A/en

The nice and the bad thing about patents is that they are public...

3. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

Might be simpler to just buy a pulley...

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Attached Files:

Hunter likes this.
  5. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

6. Lew_Merrick

Hi Hunter -- After 48 years in the "CAD business" (and I never throw useful things away!) I would hope so... -- Lew

7. Kunstmaan

Kunstmaan Alibre Super User

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Try this tutorial for the general method

9. Lew_Merrick

Hi Mareike -- That depends on what tools are in your toolkit. I load the dxf into Generic CADD. "re-origin" it to make the center of the Sprocket the "origin" (i.e. 0,0), reduce the dxf to a single "tooth pie slice entity," and save that as a dxf of a "more detailed name." Then I import that into an Alibre Design Drawing so that I can import that into a Part Model. I Extrude the "tooth pie wedge" to width and Radial Copy it to complete the Sprocket. Should you wish, I would be happy to do a GoToMeeting if that would make my "approach" clearer (I am in a GMT-7 time zone). -- Lew