1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unfix sketch elements from origin?

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by harperabbot, Jul 10, 2019.

1. harperabbot

harperabbot New Member

A very elementary question, I know, but can it be done? The only way I know to remove constraints is to click the appropriate symbol in the sketch and delete it. A snap to the origin does not reveal itself with a symbol. I know I've got to be missing something. Is there a way to free up an element from all its constraints?

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

Hold down Ctrl key whilst dragging the feature away from the origin.

3. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

For me this works about 75% of the time. When it doesn't, it's always because there's other constraints holding the endpoint in place, and finding the problem constraint is usually harder than just deleting the Sketch element and redrawing it.

Just my own experience...

4. harperabbot

harperabbot New Member

Perfect, thanks so much. What exactly does Ctrl do - allow breakage of constraints? Or is it only for breaking origin snap?

5. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

I think Ctrl + LMB only breaks Coincident constraints between points since they don't have their own constraint icon in a Sketch. But yeah, it should work on any point, not just ones constrained to your origin.

Other constraints you can manually break by left clicking on the little constraint icon (which will also highlight the two entities related by the constraint) and pressing the Delete key.

harperabbot likes this.