1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected Error.

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by jcdammeyer, Mar 24, 2021.

1. jcdammeyer

jcdammeyer Senior Member

upload_2021-3-24_1-48-1.png

Luckily this isn't a complex assembly so I can trash it and start over. Is there a way to recover this?

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I would assume that the "filealreadyexists" bit might give it away but with Alibre you never know. It crashes without giving you the option of fixing/repairing/renaming/etc or giving you plain English error messages.

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Have you recently published that assembly to PDF, and if so do use Microsoft Print to PDF as the PDF Writer ?

Ralf likes this.
  4. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

Or is the file in the cloud?

Thomy_B likes this.
  5. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Either way, as @bigseb said, Alibre should handle the situation gracefully! It's a common theme with most of the crashes users post on here ... poor handling of failure cases in the code!

These issues can be pro-actively fixed by a good code review! Not wait until a customer finds them.

JST and bigseb like this.
  6. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

Hi John,

Please follow David's hint with PDF first.

Next, please try to open your 3D Parts one by one.
    I think that won't be a problem and you don't have to throw it all away.
    F5 -> Save

In the next step, check if the file is located locally or in the cloud.
    (OneDrive, for example, is known for synchronization problems.)

Thomy_B likes this.
  7. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

A follow up to my previous post - try changing the file extension to 'PDF', and see if it will open with your default PDF viewer. If it opens, that would confirm that the file was overwritten by the PDF (deleting the assembly information in the process).

Of course if it won't open as PDF, change the file extension back again.

8. jcdammeyer

jcdammeyer Senior Member

Turns out a part was being used in an assembly and it crashed while trying to insert a constraint. I rebooted the WIN-10 HP ZBook laptop after that with no luck loading one of the two part files that made up the assembly. I then made sure Alibre wasn't running on the laptop as hidden task. Went to my main workstation and ran alibre loading the assembly there and it came up with the same error.
    Next I copied the AD_PRT file and renamed it. Loading just the part file comes up with this error.
    upload_2021-3-24_9-49-41.png

A closer look that I missed last night shows it's now a zero length part file. Loading it in a binary editor shows it's empty.

So when Alibre crashed with that message it also did something pretty nasty and killed the part and of course the assembly is broken too so I've attached that just in case it gives a clue as to where it's now broken.

Attached Files:

9. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Icon Picture:
    upload_2021-3-24_18-44-32.png

Alibre missing message:

upload_2021-3-24_18-45-14.png

Regards
    Stefan

10. jcdammeyer

jcdammeyer Senior Member

I have the TriColourCPU-1 but the -Box is the zero length file. I can still edit the part file for the CPU board. This was to be a small box that held the CPU board. Very simple. Easy to recreate. However the assembly file won't load due to the already exists error which is very misleading. Had I a day between the assembly and the creation of the box I'd have been able to pull the original from Windows Home Server but this all happened before the daily backup. Sigh...

11. jcdammeyer

jcdammeyer Senior Member

So all fixed as far as redoing the box. Busy 3D printing a copy now to verify that my lid will properly snap in and hold the PC board in place.
    upload_2021-3-24_20-41-55.png
    The board monitors the button and using CAN bus messaging turns on or off or sets the default intensity of a a bunch of lights that are going to be mounted in places like under the kitchen counter, along pathways etc. The processor board was used in the YVR rings shown on my avatar. This one is one of the first hand made prototypes.
    upload_2021-3-24_20-48-0.png

John

pottersfriend likes this.