1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transparency issues inn build 20072?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JST, Dec 29, 2019.

1. JST

JST Alibre Super User

This is puzzling, and has been buried in "feedback".

Why doe 20072 show objects that are listed as 100% opaque, as 100% transparent when in new graphic mode?

If set to legacy, there is no problem. They are shown as opaque.

This with fairly large models, but ones that worked OK in a previous system having only 4gB, whereas I now have 16gB.

2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello JST,
    No transparency issues here with build 20072 and large models so far.
    Have you send your model(s) to the support team?
    Regards
    Stefan

3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

As I said in the other thread this is a graphics issue, not memory. Chances are if you were to revert to a 'pre-hoops' version like 2018 then the models would display correctly.

4. tk1247

tk1247 Member

I seem to remember from previous threads that there was promises of some sort of significant "hoops" update or upgrade that AD was waiting on to address these and other issues......does anyone know if that ever happened? I'm still seeing the issue where some feature outlines bleed through another feature in front of it as you zoom in and out. My recollection was that Max indicated this would be addressed in future graphics updates.

5. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I had thought that the current update was supposed to fix that.

As I mentioned, I have had to turn off the new graphics (per prior threads) to get around it, which is kinda silly, since here is a nice new program in which a lot of the "nice new" is the new graphics, but the display has to be run in legacy compatibility mode, turning OFF the "nice new" graphics, in order to actually work reasonably.

I thought there was something that I could maybe fix, since as far as I knew, the current version supposedly fixed it.

BTW, it DOES seem to be a memory issue, in the sense that it seems to occur on what are, for me, large and complex models. That does not mean I am running out of the 16gB, but it does seem to correlate with the bigger models, and ONLY the bigger models, hence the question.

I'd send in the file, but gmail urped at the package size, and I seem to have misplaced my dropbox password.

6. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

It appears that you havethe same conversation going in two different sections of the forum. Why don't you combine them?

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

This is specifically the one issue,

The other thread is dead anyway.

8. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

The other thread is still quite current, please take a look: #20

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  9. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

By chance, is your opaque part very thin and also butted coincident to another part? In this case, it's a known issue that the very thin opaque part may show some parts through it. Does the problem get worse the more you zoom out?

A screenshot would help tremendously.

10. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello @Max
    take a look at the post #6 from HaroldL...
    Regards
    Stefan

11. Max

Can you send me the building model? Please upload large files here:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/PjHmOBSg203xu0LN0Ks6

12. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The models are of all sorts, fat solids, thinner pieces, etc. They show up transparent, but when queried are 100% opaque, and they all look fine on legacy display.

Using new display:
    The ones with a color show up with a color, but even with "shaded and visible edges", ALL edges are seen, even ones behind the part.

There IS a "change" from "with visible" to "all", but I have not identified it yet.

Plain "shaded" is kind of a complete disaster. I do not even know where to start, but there are rippling triangular edges, and I don't know what after that.

Shaded with visible edges has those problems plus it has all edges shown.

The same parts, by themselves, show up correctly, with the "visible" vs "all" distiction active and acting correctly.

I have tried pixel changes, I have adjusted many things. Ambient occlusion shows up with moving "tiger stripes" on the parts that are similar to the rippling triangular edges.

And, of course, with legacy display, almost everything is correct as I expect, as an assembly, and as individual parts. There are one or two oddities which I mentioned elsewhere, but cannot recall now.

At least the new system is so fast that I can open and close these larger models fast and with far less delay, so finding these differences has not been an issue.

Uploaded.

13. JST

JST Alibre Super User

In legacy mode, a couple of things do show through at certain view distances, usually zoomed out. That is an old, old problem that I never even mention or think twice about, it goes back years, maybe to before 2012. "Thin" may be a cm or more thick, it seems to depend on the size (area) of the part relative to the thickness. Thicker parts that are very large may show it.

The transparency issue is different, and may show edges on parts that are a couple meters behind the solid and thick almost cubical part which has become transparent.

14. Max

JST, something is very wonky with the assembly you uploaded to us. We are investigating.

15. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Really?

It has been fine for me, other than the transparency issues. It shows no other Alibre errors or peculiarities in use here, and ONLY has the odd transparency when used with new (hoops?) graphics.

The only issues it is known to have is that since it is a trial layout of an extended shop, it has been changed many times on the fly, and could have had more use of subassemblies.

Should be interesting if it is found that some error buried at a low level can cause that.

16. Max

The transparency issue itself is very wonky.

17. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Anything new with this?

18. tk1247

tk1247 Member

+1 on this request. Many months ago we were told there was an imminent HOOPS graphics engine update on the horizon that would fix many of the graphics issues. Is there a status on that?

bigseb and simonb65 like this.