1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That "confirmed bugs" sticky in feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JST, Feb 9, 2020.

1. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The latest entry in that is from 2013, and I feel certain those are no longer relevant, not to mention that there are others since.

While you are cleaning up the forum, that sticky either needs to be updated, or else it probably needs to go away. Makes it look like the forum is so old and unmaintained as to be irrelevant.

2. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

Reviewing the list to delete those that have been fixed is reasonable. Deleting the lot for the sake of tidiness though.....

NateLiqGrav and anson like this.
  3. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Well, there is nothing relevant to the current or recent versions. "The lot" seems to apply to versions that are at least 7 years old. Bugs in those versions are no longer very relevant, probably not even as history.

And it seems clear that since the list is not being maintained, there is not much purpose being served.

Now, if the list were being brought up to date, so that people could look at it and see if the oddity they noticed is a currently known bug, THAT would be entirely different. THAT would be useful.

4. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

I suggest we all go on a bug hunt then. Check them and update accordingly.

5. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Well It might be better if the ones that are confirmed are listed.... kinda like the title says. That would be an Alibre thing. And mostly a "receptionist level" task, since there must be a list already, no programming talent needs to be wasted doing it.

6. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

The idea of the thread was to act as a repository for the confirmation that we do amongst ourselves all the time. It fell into disuse during the Geomagic period when there was no progress on bug fixing.
    You've been through the list and checked this? Or, you're just asserting that because it deals with older versions the bugs must no longer be relevant?

7. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Haven't gone through the list myself but there were bugs from way back that were never addressed. If they're still relevant (now that we are using HOOPS) I cannot say. Some might not be but new bugs can still be listed there.

8. JST

JST Alibre Super User

My question to you is: Are you saying that despite all the comments on this forum, those 2013 bugs are the last ones, and that there are no new ones? That is what the existence of that "buglist" asserts.

Since then, the ACIS has been updated, graphic display has been updated, a ton of new features added, etc. A lot of re-writing has been done.

I am saying that if the list isn't going to be used, then why is it even there claiming to be a complete and valid list of ALL the confirmed bugs?

None of us knows if those ancient bugs have been addressed, and frankly, if they are not still being complained about, I do not actually care. If they are serious they will be mentioned again.

If the last entry is 7 years ago, it is clear to me, at least, that there are many more recent bugs that have a great deal MORE relevance. I know that I submitted several that were confirmed but that cannot be on that list just due to date.

Update it or just delete it.

9. NateLiqGrav

@JST
    You misunderstand. That topic was created by USERS (not EMPLOYEES) for other users to find when searching for answers and to reduce redundant topics.

Feel free to correct or add any known bugs to the list.

10. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Hmmm.... then I really do not see the point. If it were "confirmed", that would have to be by the Alibre people. A "bug" is a programming issue.

The rest of us cannot "confirm" a bug, we can only report odd behavior and claim it is a bug. Who among us decides if it is a "bug" or a user error, an ACIS problem, etc?

The developers investigate and determine if it is "expected behavior" or an issue, and where it is located, if it can be fixed by them, etc. Otherwise, it is only an "I see this too" list, and the problem could be located anywhere from the user and/or user settings (pebcak), to the program, to ACIS or HOOPS, or even Windows.

Kind of like the "tiger stripes" "woodgrain" issue. Nobody seems to know if it is a program bug, a problem with some graphics cards, or what. Seems like some graphics cards are just not up to the job, as many using the same software do not see any of the problems, so, for instance, that may not be a "bug".

Everyone is happy with 7 year old information of questionable validity, so that is a "whatever floats your watch" deal.

I'm out.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  11. NateLiqGrav

They were confirmed by Support to the users that reported them and given status of "Escalated to Dev".

I do think it should be un-stickied - just not deleted.

I would much prefer to have a searchable system of all verified known bugs direct from Alibre Dev/Support but I understand why they wouldn't like to do so.

I give Alibre props for listing known bug fixes in recent releases.

12. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

I have unstickied that post. At the end of the day, this is a stickied post that is 7 years old. Despite its elevated visibility, no one cared enough to mess with it in a very long time, and so it doesn't deserve to be stickied. I've now written the word stickied more times in this post than I have in the rest of my entire life. :D