1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweep Boss

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Willis123, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Willis123

Willis123 Member

Does the sketch that I want to sweep along a path object need to have the path inside its perimeter? I have a shape that's away from the path (path is not inside the shape) and AD isn't letting me do it.

Also, can you use a circle as a sweep path?

2. JST

JST Alibre Super User

path can be outside the perimeter.

Yes you can. Sweeping a circle along a circle get s torus, no problem..

3. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Inspect your sketches to see if there is an issue with them. Also what is the Status message for the Sweep? Make sure you don't have a bend in the path that is too sharp or you'll get an "intersecting surface" error.

I just discovered that v22 sweeps will tolerate some amount of "kinking' of the swept feature.

KinkedSweep.png

4. Willis123

Willis123 Member

Can you take a look at my part? I would like to sweep Sketch 9 along Sketch 10 but AD won't budge (OK is greyed out). The analyzer can't find any problems. Does the order in which the sketches are listed in the tree matter? I'm using V22.

Attached Files:

5. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

You cannot reuse sketch 10 because it is "consumed" by Sweep 11. You need to create a new sketch path by using Project to Sketch to project sketch 10 into the new sketch. Then it will work.

6. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

You have to project to sketch Sketch<10> and make a new copy as it's already been consumed by Sweep<11>

7. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Beat me to it by seconds @HaroldL !

8. Willis123

Willis123 Member

That worked. Thank you Harold (and Simon by seconds!). Boy, that's a subtle rule. Today, I am that much smarter.

9. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Ah,Ah, Ah,Ah:)

10. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

This I don't like. Dodgy geometry will get me a red mark with the engineers...

11. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Yes I agree bigseb. The stress flow will concentrate in the kinking curve. Good point.

12. Mike Fleury

Mike Fleury Member

That's interesting and very usable, Alibre has always been very paranoid about kinking a sweep. This will be helpful when drawing wire routing.