1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split_at_End error

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by laverne3ca, Dec 26, 2019.

1. laverne3ca

laverne3ca Member

I'm attempting to draw compression springs with closed ends and when I attempt to add the open coils to the 1.5 closed turns I get the error unless I offset the geometry at least .0001 in any direction. Any suggestions why that happens and how to work around it?

Attached Files:

2. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Have you tried using the "advanced" tools in the Helical Boss tool? You can close the ends but I've never tried it for 1.5 coils. You can also
    "Extrude cut" on the end coils almost halfway (don't put the cut exactly on the wire centerline - causes bad things) if you want a "ground"
    flat on the ends of the springs.

3. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

The Advanced tools have a 360 degree limit that won't allow for 1.5 revolutions. This is the best I could get: FlatEndLimits.png .

@laverne3ca, If I edited the midsection sketch to Project to Sketch the end face of the top coils HelicalBossTopEnd.png I could get this result: HelicalBossTopEndResult.png .

However, if I did the same Project to Sketch at the bottom the result was a disaster: HelicalBossBottomEndResult.png .

A while back there was someone on the forum that used MoI to create a spring that, I think, transitioned like you want. You'd have to run a search on the forum to find it though.

4. laverne3ca

laverne3ca Member

Thanks Harold, I tried most of what you did and with the same results, I don't have MOI but I'll look for the article and see if it's the new item for me. This job won't justify MOI unless I really stretch things but maybe.....

5. GeorgD

GeorgD Member

The pitch must always be minimally larger than the diameter of the wire. Otherwise the object would cut itself.

Here is an example. maybe it is as you imagine it.

Attached Files:

6. laverne3ca

laverne3ca Member

OK, thanks, that makes sense when you think about it and the small space between coils is insignificant anyway

7. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Maybe we could get one of the Python gurus to modify one of the "coil" scripts or write a new one to create this kind of spring. It needs to be written so the user can define the number of "closed" coils at each end AND possibly also a taper.

8. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Sounds like you folks should be trying to contact "idslk" (username) aka Stefan. He has posted some very interesting helices in the
    forum gallery. Pretty cool work.

9. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello colleagues,

the "scripts" are calculating 3D points on a mathematical way. The points are used to create a 3D spline which is used as a path for a sweep.
    As far as i think the solution of GeorgD seems to be ok, here is only something to play with...

Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files: