1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split draft function

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TimoCAD, Oct 31, 2019.

1. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

I'm working on forged and casted aluminum parts with non planar Tool split surfaces and am struggeling with the necessary drafts in Alibre.

So when is it possible to get a split draft function?

As a workaround I'm trying to get the most out of the sweep cut function for that.

Any users out there with a proper doable methodology in Alibre for such a use case?

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Can you share a part? I normally design the part in two half and boolean unite. But in your case with non-planar splits it might need a different approach. Hard to say without a model to work with.

3. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

Hey bigseb,

cool that you're interested, part attached. It should be simple, at least in Siemens NX or CATIA V5 but I need to do it in Alibre, and I know the ACIS-Kernel has this possibitities...

Excited Greets from the Sofa. :)

Attached Files:

4. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

:)

Attached Files:

TimoCAD likes this.
  5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Something about this thread has been bothering me ever since I posted last night. Only just realised you wanted a draft for the part whereas I did a cavity split. :oops::oops::oops: My mistake. I'll have to revisit this later.

TimoCAD likes this.
  6. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

No prob bigseb, thank you for demonstrating the cavity split! ;)

Have a look at my part, maybe we can define a workaround, maybe also scripting a function that selects all tangent edges of a body if the User selects one edge.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019