1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slots in a round part.

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by forever_young74, Jul 25, 2020.

1. forever_young74

forever_young74 New Member

I’m new to this whole 3D modeling so a lot of stuff is confusing. I’ve created a round part, the part need a slot in it but I’m not able to place it on the rounded surface. So I sketched it on a different plan but now I’m I need to move it to the round surface and cut extrude. Could someone please help me out with this.

Thanks
    Bert

2. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The easiest way I have found is to create a plane tangent to the round item, draw on that and extrude cut through to the inside (or outside) surface.

3. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Bert,

one possible way:
    you can insert a reference plane to your round part (here a sample cylinder):
    upload_2020-7-25_19-23-27.png

select "Insert Reference Plane" and in this requester click on the icon at the right side
    click on the round cylinder face and on a plane (here i have choosen the ZX-Plane). The new Plane here is named Plane<2>.
    Then click "Apply".
    upload_2020-7-25_19-24-16.png

you have to activate a new sketch on the new plane. Therefor you click on "Activate 2D Sketch" and then on "Plane<2>"

upload_2020-7-25_19-28-11.png

create a rectangle and dimension it fully.

upload_2020-7-25_19-30-4.png

upload_2020-7-25_19-30-49.png

Now you can choose "Extrude" in the "Cut (Remove Material)" section.

upload_2020-7-25_19-31-1.png

if you have selected "Sketch<2>" before you've clicked Extrude, your Sketch will be preselected in the upcomming requester,
    otherwise you have to select it then.
    Enter the cut "Depth" an if you want to enter also a "Label" (name) for the feature.

upload_2020-7-25_19-32-20.png

this should be your result (if you can't see a cut, you may have to edit the pre sign of the depth):

upload_2020-7-25_19-35-23.png

Regards
    Stefan

4. forever_young74

forever_young74 New Member

THANK YOU both so much, and thanks for the short tutorial making it easy for a new user, I’ve been struggling with this for several days.