1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple thing that seem impossible to do with Atom 3D.

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by papajoe41, Mar 19, 2020.

1. papajoe41

papajoe41 Member

Hi,

Well, I have been getting used to the Atom3D and have a few questions.

I will describe what I did and ask why it won’t work. I pick a plane and make a rectangle and extruded it. I chose one of the faces and drew a rectangle, exactly on top of the original extruded face and put in the exact dimensions as the extruded face. I tried to extrude that and it refused. Why?

I do a similar thing. This time I take an extruded rectangle, choose a face and put a line across the face and try to extrude that and it tells me that it cannot do a ‘boss’.

I looked at the bolt video again and saw that the head and shaft were drawn on the same center before extruding. How do you do that with rectangles, to make one evenly spaced inside another rectangle? Is there a way take two ‘same size’ extruded rectangles after they are extruded and move them, one directly on top of the other?

These are things that I need to do to draw my part.

Thanks,

Papajoe41

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Does it give you a preview in the workspace? IF it does check the Reverse toggle in the extrude dialog to change the direction of the extrude. IF it shows an error in the Design Explorer for the second extrude then Analyze the sketch to see if there is a problem with it.
    To extrude a single line sketch you need to use a Thin Extrude which I suspect Atom3D may not have.
    IF the result you want is to have two rectangles aligned and extruded in opposite directions then the direction of the extrudes need to be in opposite directions.

Here's a screen shot of the result using the "bolt" example. I made extrusion<2> slightly smaller so I could add a Feature Color to help visualize the result.
    OppositeExtrudeSameSketchPlane.png

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

You say "I tried to extrude that and it refused" - we can help much more if you tell us the nature of the refusal. Was there any message or error?

If not, attach the file or at least a screenshot, so we can investigate what you did.

Have you reviewed the 'Tips and Tricks' section at the bottom of the Atom3D tab on the Training Videos page ? https://www.alibre.com/training/