1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sheet metal stamping feature question

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by OzBrand, Nov 6, 2019.

1. OzBrand

OzBrand Member

G'day All,

Seeking out the pros for some advice on a sheet metal part. I have had several attempts at replicating the dimple feature (as pictured in the attachments) using the sheet metal menu rather than the model menu. I have not had any success.

We're using 1.5mm thick full hard copper for a PCB terminal and need to create this feature as a latching device into an insulator. I have attached a pic of my poor attempt using extrude and shell functions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction (be nice!).

Cheers, Mike WP_20160722_07_49_17_Pro.jpg WP_20160722_07_49_47_Pro.jpg HCC Positive Power Terminal V6a.jpg

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

You're going to need the Dimple tool for that. Here's an example I made up, you'll need to apply your own dimensions though. Just edit each feature to see how I created it.
    Let me know if you have any questions on it.
    DimpledLance.png

Attached Files:

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

G'day Mike -- (1) Have you tried "spot annealing" the area to be formed? (2) Have you considered using a "rivet & tube end" to make such an interface? [Irrational minds want to know.] -- Lew

4. OzBrand

OzBrand Member

Thanks Harold and Lew,

Harold - I did have some some success with the dimple tool but your methodology worked better. Either way we have to use the model functionality, not just the sheet metal menu. Regardless, it will bend/unbend, which sometimes it doesn't when using model features such as extrude. Thanks again for your input.

Lew - we will be producing these in the tens of thousands and will do so using progressive tooling i.e. punching/stamping/bending. We'd prefer to do it in the one process rather than adding any secondary process. Thanks for the taking the time to reply.

Cheers,

Mike

TimoCAD likes this.
  5. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

G'day Mike -- Not knowing details makes an "answer" a WAG (not even a SWAG). Understood. -- Lew