1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

script for creating geodesic parabolic disch

Discussion in 'Alibre Script' started by Kunstmaan, May 13, 2019.

1. Kunstmaan

Kunstmaan Senior Member

I am asked to create a drawing for a patabolic disch using geodetic elements.

As I am totaly unfamiliar with these and therefore looking for a script that could create such a parabolic disch

Any suggestions how to tackle this??

Mareike

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Mareike -- At the basis, a parabolic dish (in English at least) will be defined by an equation of the form y = ax² + c. The "hard part" is getting definitions for a and c. My best guess is that "geodetic" in your statement is the term I am familiar with as "geodesic" which would mean that the shape (in revolution is approximated by a series of hexagonal and pentagonal panels like unto those making up a "geodesic dome"). That would be my guess.

3. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

If you want a parabolic bowl then start Alibre Script and look on the left under the script library there is one called "Equation Sketcher". Load and run it.

eq-ui.png

Configure for the equation you want and this will draw a parabolic curve.

eq-sketch1.png

Now you can create the rest of the dish profile in the sketch, then do a revolve boss.

eq-bowl.png

Andy

4. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

5. idslk

idslk Senior Member

6. Kunstmaan

Kunstmaan Senior Member

Attached Files:

7. Wade Waterman

Wade Waterman Member

This is a question for Andy - ajayre, or indeed anyone who has done this. I looked at the math that you have shown to figure out Geodesic dome points. I have never used a formula like that. Do you somehow run it in Alibre and then it automatically generates the points? Or did you have to put the points in separately? I have built several conduit domes but always just cut the tubing to the lengths specified on other sites for the diameter that I wanted. It would be great to be able to use Alibre to draw a dome. Sorry Mareike maybe I am hijacking your post!

Wade

8. Wade Waterman

Wade Waterman Member

Maybe I was too quick to respond! Seems this is what scripting does. I have never used it but maybe I will have to take a look. Sorry for the interruption!

Wade

9. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

That's exactly what the script does that I linked to - it performs the calculations and generates the points. That is reference geometry that can then be built upon, e.g. in an asssembly with tubes and connectors.

Andy

10. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

That's a 2D drawing - perhaps best to use a 2D CAD package for that...?

Andy