1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaling a Sketch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerInHawaii, Jul 3, 2014.

1. RogerInHawaii

RogerInHawaii Member

Let's say I've created a sketch and I've specified all the dimensions as true dimensions,i.e. it really is ten feet wide and six feet high.

But I also want to build a physical MODEL of this object that's only, say, five inches wide.

Is there a way to "scale" my original real-size sketch so that I get a sketch in which all the dimensions are appropriately scaled down to the intended model size?

2. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Alibre Super User

Hi,

Any part can be scaled in the workspace, so it may be easier to build full-size, then scale when the model is complete.

I recently modeled a workshop full-scale, then scaled down the equipment and benches for 3D-printed models that could be placed on a scaled floorplan. Worked well for planning the workshop expansion.

3. RogerInHawaii

RogerInHawaii Member

But HOW?

I can't seem to find any way to actually accomplish that.

4. TylerDurden

I haven't used that AD version for awhile, but I recall there could be a tool in the menu: Feature>Scale_or_Mirror_Part.

5. KMoffett

KMoffett Senior Member

I just tried using Scale/Mirror on a part created in Geomagic Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 16,0,1,16490 ] 32-bit
    It visually scaled the part down and it looked correct. But the dimension call-outs remained the same in the Sketches. Creating a drawing of it showed the part in the visually reduced size, but the associated dimensions were for the original size.

Ken

6. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

RogerInHawaii,

1) Save As a copy of your part or assembly to a new name.
    2) Use the Features->Scale command to change the scale factor. Be aware that this changes the Model from the point at which you applied it and not the sketches or features created prior to the application of the scale factor.
    3) If you create a Drawing of the part or assembly, beware that rolling back the dogbone in the Design Explorer "undoes" the scale factor and you have to restore the "dogbone" to regain your scaled version.

Ken -- I assume that "Item 3" above is your actual "issue."

I admit that I rarely use a scale factor in my work and that remembering its details is somewhat of an "issue" for me.

7. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

WizoScript can copy and scale most sketches (along with rotate and translate).

Andy

8. KMoffett

KMoffett Senior Member

Lew,
    Attached is an simple example of a scaled part. The dimensions are not scaled, only the visual image of the feature. How would you change it to actually "scale" down the feature to a usable part with scaled down dimensions?

Ken

Attached Files:

9. Lew_Merrick

Above is the screen image of your model. The features are: Extrusion<1> (made up of Sketch<1>), Extrusion<3> (made up of Sketch<2>), Fillet<1>, and Scale Part<4>.

The Scale Part<4> does not change Extrusion<1>, Extrusion<3>, or Fillet<1>, it applies a scale factor to the geometry defined by those (pre-scale) operations! The result is a set of features that have been scaled by the scale operand! Is that clearer?

Attached Files:

10. TylerDurden

Dimensions are unscaled if the checkbox is ticked when inserting views... However, dimensions added to the drawing of the scaled part are correct for the scale factor.

Small consolation, but better than nothing I suppose. :|

11. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

Script:

Code:
    Units.Current = UnitTypes.Inches

TestRoom = Part("TEST ROOM Scaled", False)
    OriginalSketch = TestRoom.GetSketch("Sketch<2>")

# currently 8.25" wide, need it to be 4.125"
    ScaleFactor = 4.125 / 8.25 * 100.0

ScaledSketch = TestRoom.AddSketch("Scaled", TestRoom.GetFace("Face<6>"))
    ScaledSketch.CopyFrom(OriginalSketch, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ScaleFactor)

Result:

Attached Files:

12. KMoffett

KMoffett Senior Member

Lew,
    Yes, I see that the SCALE sets all previous features to a size set by the scale factor. My CAM (VisualCAM 2014) does operate on the dimensions of the scaled part. But, if I really wanted to easily send out a drawing with scaled dimensions it doesn't look possible. Of course I could be missing some fine point in the setup or operation. I'm still pretty green.

Tyler,
    I don't understand where this "checkbox" is.

That's what I'm trying to avoid.

ajayre,
    I wanted a hammer...I didn't want the learn the be a metallurgist to make the head...I didn't want to learn to be a forester to make the handle!...I just wanted a hammer that would pound nails!
    Sorry! Workarounds to make something work the way it appears it should work always throws me into that mood. ;) I'm not especially talented at programming, so that looks like as much work as just adding new dimensions to the drawing. But I hope it will help others.

Thanks all for the patience.

Ken

13. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

Hi Ken,
    Before you give up, I think you are missing just one concept.
    Scale the 3D part, not the sketch(es).

Make your 3D part full scale.
    Then use the Feature Scale command to scale that 3D part, not its sketch(es).
    Now that the part has the dimensions you want make a drawing of it.
    The dimensions you add in the drawing will be of the scaled part, not the original.
    It sounds like you are trying to scale the sketch of the 3D part.
    That is doing it the hard way.
    Remember that GM is a 3D modeler, it is optimised for 3D.
    Once you have the 3D how you want it making a drawing is a snap.
    Don

14. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

:roll:

15. KMoffett

KMoffett Senior Member

OK DWC, I'm probably missing a lot. By making a "3D part", I thought that: sketch>extrude>save created the 3D part. If that is true, then where is the "Feature Scale" command? If that's not true, then would you walk me through getting there with my part.

Ken

16. Lew_Merrick

Ken -- I am not familiar with VisualCAM, but are you not sending it a STEP, IGES, or other neutral format file upon which your motions are based?

Let's get some terminology squared away here. A 3D part or assembly is a model. A 2D schematic representation of that part or assembly is a drawing or, in certain operations, a layout (a distinction that today's CAD industry has, for all practical purposes, forgotten).

It sounds to me as if you are trying to use sketches that have been exported to the drafting module as 2/2.5D CAM geometry in some fashion. ???

If I scale a part or assembly, the only time my drawing (as in the Geomagic drafting module) loses the scaled context is when I have "rolled back" the model to a point previous to having applied the scale operand. The drawing itself is scaled (something that can be overridden) to fit on the drawing sheet, but that is (or should be) a separate issue.

17. KMoffett

KMoffett Senior Member

Lew,
    VisualCAM 2014 for Geomagic Design" is AlibreCAM after they turned support back to MECSOFT, the original creator.

Lew and dwc,
    I think you're assuming that I know your interpretation of the progressions from 2D sketch to extrusion to "part" or "assembly" and then to scale after that. If you take my posted part, remove the Scale Part<4>, what are the specific steps and commands to get to where you can get the final scaled part(?) with scaled dimensions call-outs?

Sorry to be so dense at this.

Ken

18. Lew_Merrick

Ken,

Is this what you are looking for?

Please note that I added a ΓΈ.125 hole through your part after having scaled it. Also, I renamed all the geometry to make it easier to follow. The drawing is scaled at 1:1 which should export for you quite nicely.

Does this make sense to you?

Attached Files:

19. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

Ken,
    See the included screenshot. I built a box 30mm high, 40mm wide and 50mm deep. I then used the "Scale or Mirror Part" command to scale it by 1.5. My sides now measure 45 60 75. Once you have scaled the part to the size you want, then you create a drawing and the drawing will show the new sizes.

You cannot use the same function in an assembly. You would have to scale all the parts before hand.

Attached Files:

20. KMoffett

KMoffett Senior Member

Lew,
    Your PRT and DRW files are just what I want...but...when I created a new drawing (attached) from your PRT, the part images were correctly scaled but the dimensions are the unscaled ones.
    The scales in creating the drawing were 1:1.

alab0803,
    In what view are you showing the scaled 1.5 dimensions? The screenshot doesn't.

Did I say that I using Geomagic Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 16,0,1,16490 ] 32-bit?

Ken

Attached Files: