1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russian Doll Effect for Parts/Assemblies

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by LMSolar, Jan 5, 2021.

1. LMSolar

LMSolar New Member

I am trying to use an assembly model to create a part that is exactly the same except the outside surface of the part will be the inside surface of the assembly (which is hollow). The part will then have its own thickness associated with it, and also be hollow.

Basically, I am trying to recreate a Russian Doll Effect from my assembly. Is this possible?

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Boolean
    Boolean boolean
    Boolean boolean boolean
    Boolean boolean boolean boolean
    etc..

I'd write more but I'm headed off to night shift now. Should be self-explanatory though.

3. LMSolar

LMSolar New Member

Are there any references you have that could better explain how to use Boolean to accomplish this?

4. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Except for the night shift bonus (if you're getting one), night shift is a bummer.

5. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Read up on Scale Part features and Boolean features. But unless it's a pretty basic shape you will find it almost impossible to do simply with those two. For example a cube is easy but a table won't be. As the table scales up the legs will get farther from the origin when you would really need them to get thicker in the location they were.

Another option (if you created everything from scratch) is to adjust the necessary parameters with a scalar variable and then you would only need to change the scalar variable to increase the size.

Depending on what Alibre Design level these next features are available in you might be able to covert to surfaces and then thicken the surfaces.

Configurations would be handy too if you have that level of Alibre Design.

6. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Like so. Took a few minutes. Uses a base model that is used to create all the rest. Thickness is governed by a GP. Easy peasy.

Capture.JPG

Attached Files:

ChristianGa likes this.
  7. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Nah, night shift is the best. Would do only night shift if I had the option.

8. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

Weirdo ;-)

9. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

A lot of people say that but think about it... no boss, no supervisor, no interruptions, just get on with the job. Perfect. I have no family so it suits me great..

10. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I worked night shift for 15 years before I transferred into design. The last supervisor I had let us do our jobs without second guessing (micro-managing) and we didn't have to deal with too many interruptions. What I missed out on was the "normal" things that day shift folks did and that was a the bummer for me.

11. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

+1

Now for a real bummer, try half days... 7:00am to 7:00pm... 30 days without a break, maybe 5 days off, and then back to half days. :D
    Oh yeah... no overtime.

12. sz0k30

sz0k30 Senior Member

To me a half day was 4 hours!!!

BeEdHa likes this.
  13. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Yeah 7 - 7 is called 12s here. But 30 in a row!:eek:

14. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

1 Day = 24 hours
    1/2 Day = ...

Yep. There it is.

And yes, 30 days. Sometimes more and sometimes less. Just the luck of the draw.

15. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Are you a covid nurse?

Too soon?

16. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

No and No.

"Russian Doll Effect for Parts/Assemblies"

OOPS. I think we went just a little bit off topic.