1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rolling the view like turning a steering wheel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by S obsessed, Oct 1, 2019.

1. S obsessed

S obsessed Member

Is it possible to manually roll the view like you would turn a steering wheel? When rotating my part often gets to a point where I would like to just roll it a little and trying to do that with the standard rotation method with the mouse is tricky. In Turbocad I normally rotate the part and then can hold down the key which I set and then roll the part to the orientation I would like. It seems I can only pan and 360 degree rotate the parts in Alibre with the mouse and the only roll feature I have found is with the roll arrow buttons which make the part move in 90 degree turns. Can a person set a hot key to go along with the mouse to make this happen?

2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

If you want full control, I would suggest you invest in a 3D Connexion SpaceMouse ...

upload_2019-10-1_16-4-19.png

Once you've used one, you'll wonder why you wasted so much time, effort, sweat and sanity trying to use a keyboard and mouse to do CAD work!

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Left & Right Mouse buttons together allow you to rotate the view.

As Simon has already mentioned, a SpaceMouse or similar is closer to what you are asking for.

4. Dave Machock

Dave Machock Member

Try Shift and the arrow keys.

5. sz0k30

sz0k30 Senior Member

Like simonb65 shows in his post. Pretty much ever since I started working in 3D Cad (many, many years ago), I've use a spaceball. Can't imagine working without one.

6. S obsessed

S obsessed Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. The Shift+arrow keys don't do what I am after but they do rotate the part without turning it which maybe could be useful but also a pain. I looked into a spacemouse years ago and that would be the best for this it seems. I use two different computers which could get pricey for them. I am hoping it would have more uses then just for Alibre. Turbocad doesn't need it but maybe other programs like Xara, photoshop, and Blender could use it some.

7. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

This is as close as exists today. Does it by 90 degree increments.
    upload_2019-10-4_14-58-35.png

8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello S obsessed,
    would you like to rotate the part relative to the coodrdinate system or
    do you want to rotate the complete view (that what you see on the screen, part and coordinate system) like a picture?
    What is the goal you want to achieve?
    Regards
    Stefan

9. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello S obsessed,
    maybe the following is interessting for you:
    - Choose "Menu View"
    - Coose "Function Rotate"
    upload_2019-10-5_1-0-51.png
    - Move mouse pointer direct over an axis or an edge
    - Press and hold left mouse button.
    - Move mouse up or down
    with this you can move the view of the part stepless around the choosen axis/edge.
    Regards
    Stefan

10. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

He wants an easy way to rotate the canvas around similar to the Roll Right and Roll buttons but on a more granular level. Your solution does accomplish that, though it is not easy.

This is a feature enhancement. Also, it's likely that the reason you want this is that we only offer box selection and discreet pick selection (clicking on individual stuff), where we should offer lasso selection (draw a shape, pick whatever is inside). That is coming.

upload_2019-10-4_19-40-58.png

Attached Files:

IonSteve likes this.
  11. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

here a little humble video...

Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

12. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

I always hold left and right mouse buttons down and do tiny little clockwise or counterclockwise movements with my mouse and it walks it around.

It would be nice to use the arrow keys to do a barrel roll. I suggest:
    Alt+Left for counterclockwise 15 degrees
    Alt+Right for clockwise 15 degrees
    Alt+Up for counterclockwise 5 degrees
    Alt+Down for clockwise 5 degrees

While I think of it please make the current view rotations better by making them an exact 5 degrees. Currently if you press 16 times it is just past 90 degrees of rotation.

13. S obsessed

S obsessed Member

You got it Max. I will add a short video here with some examples from Alibre, Turbocad, and Blender of myself inspecting a part. I also show the "zoom to mouse pointer" feature that maybe could have some tweaking done to improve it. I don't intend to offend anyone with saying that maybe there could be some improvements but I am used to for many years having some things work differently that could possibly enhance this software. I tend to like continuity with all the programs I use since I don't use them real often and going between software like Alibre to Turbocad or photoshop to xara designer always frustrates me cause many of these don't have the options of really customizing the tools and keys so a person can more seamlessly operate. Thanks for the Help.

simonb65 and DBC like this.
  14. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

It's been awhile since I've made one, but IIRC you could take a model in a 3D .PDF file and rotate it the way you want by clicking and dragging in a circle just outside of the model itself. I always thought that was a clever and intuitive way of implementing that.

Also, feels obligatory to mention I'm also a proud owner of a 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Wireless and while using one in Alibre is slightly janky, with a bit of practice and tuning it's soooo much better than using Alibre's built-in view manipulation. I was also happy to discover I can use it to fly spaceships in Star Citizen :D

simonb65 likes this.
  15. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

In my experience 3D PDF viewing is terrible.

MilesH likes this.
  16. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

Meh, it's more than enough to get the point across. One of our vendors even called me (or tried to, I don't have a phone at my desk so I had to stretch the cord over from the salesgirl's desk next to mine) to ask about something and after emailing him one, he went on for like 5min over how stunned he was seeing it. "I didn't even know Adobe Reader could do that!"

anson likes this.