1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace sketch plane on an existing sketch.

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Capn, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Capn

Capn New Member

Using Alibre Design 2019, how can I move an existing sketch to a different sketch plane?

2. anson

anson Member

1. Select all the lines and dimensions you want to move.
    2. Use Ctrl+C to copy
    3. Deactivate sketch and start a new sketch on desired plane
    4. Use Ctrl+V to paste to new sketch

3. Capn

Capn New Member

Yeah, that's what I thought I would have to do. I use Solidworks on my day job, and switching sketch planes (after a sketch has been drawn on a given plane) is simply a matter of clicking on the new plane in a selection box. Don't need to copy and paste. Now I realize that Alibre Design is 1/10th the cost, but if it were this easy in AD that would be great. The other problem with the copy and paste is that you loose all the dimensioning which then has to be redone.

MKR and simonb65 like this.
  4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Capn,

If you use the forum search, you will get several result regarding moving or copying a sketch.
    If you are not satisfied with the manual copy above from anson, there is the project to sketch method.
    You can also use a skript i wrote. It's "only" Version 0.2 but maybe you want to try it...
    upload_2019-9-25_16-32-52.png upload_2019-9-25_16-33-30.png upload_2019-9-25_16-33-52.png upload_2019-9-25_16-34-12.png

Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

5. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

+1

6. Capn

Capn New Member

You also loose the relationship of subsequent sketches built on the one just replaced. It can be a nightmare. I know that I should be able to look ahead at all the consequences of my starting a work beforehand so I don't make stupid mistakes but...c'est la vie! By the way, AD is my goto on my personal computer because of its relative power versus cost. Just a few things for the coders to consider. Thank you, idslk, I will try it out.

7. anson

anson Member

It is possible to keep the dimensions if you select both the lines and the dimensions.

A switch planes function would be handy though.

8. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

This comes up over and over. The answer is simple: create a plane for each sketch! This negates the need to 'switch planes' as you can move/rotate that plane however you want.

JST, simonb65 and anson like this.
  9. MikeHenry

MikeHenry Alibre Super User

Even simpler is to allow the user to change the sketch plane no matter where it came from.

10. JST

JST Alibre Super User

There is a lot to fix now.... new features that have a "user solution" should oughtta be put behind them in my not very humble opinion.... let it be and make sketch planes.

11. MikeHenry

MikeHenry Alibre Super User

Fine, but Alibre may want to consider that this just another reason to drive some users to competing products. I have perhaps hundreds of parts designed with sketches based on one of the "standard" planes and need to occasionally revise them for one reason or another. It would be nice to have this issue on the list of features or capabilities that are planned for implementation or upgrading.

12. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Legacy parts are always a problem to deal with.

You make a good point.... I still want all the stuff to "work right" first... but I do agree it would be a great feature for existing drawings which may need that done .

13. Sturmer

Sturmer Senior Member

No need to fuss just

+1

14. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Since Alibre are changes to the software I would suggest that the plane for the sketch gets bundled into feature.

TimoCAD and anson like this.
  15. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Sebastian -- I agree with your "suggestion." My "extension" of it is to Rename both the Plane and the Sketch to make it easier to find and operate on each. -- Lew

16. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Agree. And to explain my previous post:
    After the creation of a feature move the plane as a sub-element into the feature thus:

Capture5.JPG

MKR and TimoCAD like this.
  17. anson

anson Member

Something like this IMO
    Untitled-1.jpg

bigseb likes this.
  18. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

What if you use the plane for multiple features?

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  19. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

If I understand bigseb's suggestion, each feature would have its own sketch plane. That could ultimately have several planes stacked up one upon the other if you had, for example, an Extrude Cut and an Extrude Boss on the same plane. I think naming would then become mandatory just to know which plane belongs to which feature. Could be messy.

20. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User