1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renaming Parts

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Spillage, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Spillage

Spillage New Member

What is the best way to (best practice for) rename Parts so as to not cause issues with Assemblies that use them?

2. JST

JST Alibre Super User

In Alibre, it will always cause problems if the file is renamed, because the filename is every identifier rolled into one, at once.

So you need to do your rename, by saving under the new name, and getting rid of the old file (if it is never to be used). Then the assemblies will open with a "not found", and you have to pick that one, and do the procedure indicated to replace the old file with the new.

That usually works, but must be done for each assembly. You must be careful, because any difference in the part, even surfaces, or edges, etc being re-numbered, will break constraints. You are usually safe on that point if only the name changes.

It may be easier to just make the new filename, keep the old file under its name, and for those individual assemblies needing the new name, do the substitution. That somewhat mirrors the drawing control process, where the old drawing still applies to old assemblies, and the new is used going forward, with possible back-applicability of the new part.

That way you do not break everything for a part that is used many places.

Spillage likes this.
  3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Spillage -- Alibre recommends the SaveAs approach (mostly) described above. I use a different approach in that I "archive" Projects regularly and "date" them. I use the File Explorer to rename files in a current Project. I immediately Open them and perform a SaveAs and overwrite them and then "replace" the newer version when I Open the UsedOn Assembly. I can then "update" the renamed File at my leisure. -- Lew

Spillage likes this.
  4. Spillage

Spillage New Member

Sounds like while it can be done, I should take my time and put some forethought into a part naming scheme at the outset of a project.
    Thanks for the replies.

5. Oldbelt

Oldbelt Senior Member

The simple approach is save the asm. with "save as" and rename the partname in the list.
    Delete the part with the old name.

idslk likes this.
  6. Lew_Merrick

Hi Spillage -- I have posted a fairly detailed listing of the File Directories, File Naming protocols (generally called Parts List's), and File Naming structures I use to manage Projects. I suspect that others have similar plans and structures in place. Should there be interest, I would be happy to set-up a GoToMeeting to discuss such approaches. ??? Lew (tangent@olympus.net)

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

A far better approach for Alibre would be the way PCB design programs work.

With most of the ones I have worked with, the filename is NOT the part name. The program looks in the files and extracts names & descriptions when opening a part addition window, and shows them in the selection window. The filename exists in the background as far as the user, and has nothing to do with the part information, aside from being the ID of the "container of information". Only the program needs to mess with filenames, and in some the program actually assigns them.

That way if you change the part name, it does not affect the filename, and does not break associations, etc.

8. Spillage

Spillage New Member

Lew, I would be interested to see a skeleton of you part naming schema.
    You said you “have posted a fairly detailed listing”... is this something you can provide a link to?

9. Lew_Merrick

I believe that this (https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?posts/134104/) will get you there (not being very experienced with this "link" business). -- Lew

Spillage likes this.
  10. Spillage

Spillage New Member