1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper way to make angled ends on tubes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by madsci, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Drutort

Drutort Senior Member

I could be wrong but the best way is to use Global param, the reason behind that is that you can do what you did, then pull those angles from the asm, do basic math as far as what the other angle should be on the other end etc... and plug that into the GPF, and hit refresh and see if it works, this is the fastest way to see results as you plug data into your GPF and refresh it and see the results in the asm in seconds.

If you mess up on an angle you can easy change and or do basic arithmetic in the GPF to update it

One of my major driving design methodology is that I place a lot of planes and axis', this is because they are far far more reliable then to keep projected reference from previous sketch or from other existing parts. ("Maintain association to source entity", fails a lot of times and does not work that well)

Since the planes are usually derived from other dimensions which are then driven by GPF, and the axis are generated from the planes as well, they will always work regardless of your GPF values, I will use constraints to those axis for the colliniar, tangent, concentric, coradial etc... and that works almost 99% time sometimes I will use edges, but they will fail too, so creating a bunch of axis might seem annoying task, but they work very well esp when they are driven from the planes and dim from GPF

With GPF you can make pretty much dynamic or master parts, throw in some config options to say flip the angles on different ends, and wow now you can create any length shape and almost any angle on whatever edge you want.

bigseb likes this.
  2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Which mechanism do you use for this? Copy&Paste or scripting?
    Can you post a working example of this for the given design in this thread?
    Regards
    Stefan

3. Drutort

Drutort Senior Member

What I meant by plug the data in is by doing it manual on the fly.

Once the part(s) are setup to take all types of variables in the GPF, and setup for generic configuration

I would then go into the asm file, throw the parts in, create on the fly a config for the part and config for the GPF

bar1, top_bar, side_bar_front etc... whatever naming system works and makes sense

I often temporary use asm constraints to get the generic parts in relative places, then I go and use measuring tool to get the data that I need, distance, angles etc... then put that back in the the proper part and GPF configs

hit refresh and look, then refine

This is a simple way and requires no scripting but saves a lot of duplicate parts and saves time on even having to go and edit the parts themselves

Once the proper lengths ,fitments, clearances are done, I remove the temporary constraints and apply the new proper ones to the parts now that they have been generated

also why not use boolean features in the asm? I could see that the angles could be cut all in the asm

It really all depends on users needs.

If the user does this for a living, in that all they do or a major portion of what they do is build type of frames then I would think investment in scriped based along with GPF would payoff in the long run big time.

But if its casual use, I do not see the need to learn and dive into scrip based, and GPF combined with cofigs is way more then enough.

I do understand that their could be many different configurations for the angles and sides the angles are done etc... but the user can create specific files, parallel angles, perpendicular, 90 shift etc.. whatever is desired and then drive those angles with config and GPF along with the lengths and tube/pipe shapes, thickness etc...

4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

:)
    Have you tried the "masterfile" version? It's a working version you can try...;)
    It "transports" the designed values to the singleparts without copying, adjusting, refreshing and so on...
    GPF is good to drive parts with predefined values, but to it is clunky to put new values dynamically from a design into the GPF.
    And as i know that some people are not able to write a skript, i've made a solution without skripting and without deeper math.
    Give it a try to see how easy WizoGrid transports values through the whole assembly in all directions and assembly/single part levels.

Regards
    Stefan

Drutort likes this.
  5. Drutort

Drutort Senior Member

Ok so here is what I was talking about

This simple design has 3 files, all the tubes where done from template (later I added text as I realized how it would benefit having the A1 A2 on all of the tubes in ASM, oh well)

All the parts generated from single part TEMPLATE_TUBE_90D

1 asm FRAME EXAMPLE1
    1 GPF TUBE

The simple tube design can do the angles to 90 deg, assuming your welding things that are perpendicular to each other, you can do without the simple formula and do any angle you want, you would simply put 1 angle, then see what the difference in angle is to what you want to assemble to and go back in the GPF file and modify accordingly.

Important, when creating new tubes from the template tube file, always and I repeat always do a "save as" because if you do like I did on a few of them with just windows explorer copy paste, Alibre will screw things up in asm, thinking its the previous part and what not, and you will end up fighting it, when you can just start over with that file, delete it from asm and do it again, simply link the GPF file, create GPF config with the same file name, select that config in the file, save and insert into asm

GPF file.png

FRAME EXAMPLE1.png

Attached Files:

idslk likes this.
  6. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Drutort,

There are 2 features you haven't build into your design:
    upload_2020-10-11_1-43-13.png upload_2020-10-11_1-43-46.png
    The ends of the angled tube are the ends and the Corner of the other tubes. The are dependent!
    So if you change the angle you will also have to change the length of the other tubes...how do you determine these dimensions without math?
    Not so easy for GLP...
    Bth.: as David mentioned, the slanted ends of the tubes can be done with "Draft" and there you can easily tpe in the angle for the draft...no nedd to draw a sketch to do a extrude cut.

Regards
    Stefan

7. Drutort

Drutort Senior Member

Do you mean something like this?
    All I used in basic calc with the "measure" tool (with some addition and subtraction) in asm and few trials and measurements, didn't take long at all

(I realized I did not do the bottom right end, but as I mentioned before, its very simple, measure, add/sub the value, go and press the refresh button on GPF and it takes less then 2 sec (at least on my system))

FRAME EXAMPLE2.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020