1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Precise Move or Rotate

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by PaulProe, Jul 4, 2019.

1. PaulProe

PaulProe Senior Member

I am struggling with the precise movement feature for Move or Rotate. It is not very intuitive, nor is the help comments very descriptive.

Absolute means the distance from 0,0, the origin point of the sketch, is that correct?

Relative means the distance from your last node, but how do you determine that or set it? I've tried moving a hole, From was established by clicking 'From' and the center of the hole. To move it, I then click 'To' and 'Precise' , select 'relative' and enter .50" for U and 0 for V but it seems to be remembering another setting as the preview shows up at 0,0

Is there a way to clear the memory of this dialog box. When it opens, it shows 0,0 but indicates "Relative to 2,0" or something similar.

Tried to follow the video on Move, but it wasn't very helpful. The people developing these assume we have the same understanding of the program as they do. Not so much

Tried refering back to some of the old Alibre manuals I have, but that didn't help.

Is there a source or can anyone explain how this is supposed to work

Thanks

Paul

2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hi Paul,

as far as i understood this feature it moves only relative to the actual position of a part (or group of parts). You can't enter a start position...
    The rotatation allows you to choose a rotation axis.

Regards
    Stefan

3. PaulProe

PaulProe Senior Member

I've played with this more and have a better understanding of how it functions, but am seeing that Alibre can be kind of dumb at times and remember stuff it shouldn't. I am guessing there's a coding bug that remembers node locations when they are totally unrelated to the action. Can't find anyway to clear this other than close the program and start over.

Pretty hard way of clearing the cache.

Paul

4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Paul,
    I thought you were talking about this:
    upload_2019-7-5_9-40-57.png

but it seems you're talking about that:
    upload_2019-7-5_9-38-59.png

upload_2019-7-5_9-47-40.png
    If you use direct entry, you have to know the values you want to use...

Regards
    Stefan

5. jhiker

jhiker Alibre Super User

I hate the Move Sketch tool with a passion and don't find it at all intuitive. Even when I get the co-ordinate entry thing correct sometimes it won't 'move' a sketch' but it will 'copy' it. I've never quite worked out what's going on with that tool.

6. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

Revolve sketch is also fun when lines have constraints like vertical or horizontal or a right angle. Here is where copying the sketch is the way to go and then delete the original. Constraints can severely hinder both move and rotate as they are still in play when we assume that the new command should automatically override them and it doesn't.

7. sz0k30

sz0k30 Senior Member

X2

8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello colleagues,

with the coordinate entry of the sketch move tool you define an vector which represents the length and the direction of the move!
    This does not mean you move your selected sketch entities from point 1 to point 2!
    Your selected entities have coordinates. Eg. you have a line which goes from (x/y) P1 (10mm/10mm) to P2 (30mm/30mm), then you check "copy" in the tool, enter the"from" value in the tool with u=20mm and v=20mm and you enter the "to" value with u=40mm and v=30mm.
    This results in an vector from 20/20 to 40/30 which is equal to (40-20=20) 20mm to the right on x and (30-20=10) 10mm up on y-axis!
    So your the copy of your line will have the following coordinates after the move: P3 (30mm/20mm) to P4 (50mm/40mm).
    upload_2019-7-6_17-55-40.png
    upload_2019-7-6_17-30-48.png upload_2019-7-6_17-29-8.png upload_2019-7-6_17-30-14.png

If you start the tool and you get this:

upload_2019-7-6_17-44-32.png

you see the values from the last input...
    Also the tool does not change orientations(like the circular feature pattern does)...

If you use rotate figures upload_2019-7-6_18-30-30.png , it's like alibie0803 said:
    if you use the circular pattern upload_2019-7-6_18-30-59.png it will do its job (regardless of any constraints)...

Regards
    Stefan

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  9. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I think I may have used the Move tool at least once or twice in all the years I've had Alibre. To me it seems pointless, I have found that if I need/want to move a sketch then I just apply a dimension from it to either the Origin or geometry I want it to be relative to and enter a value. Isn't that what dimensions are for -- to locate and size sketches? It helps to not start your sketch on the Origin. I dimension the sketch figures within the confines of the sketch then click and hold a node or piece of sketch geometry then drag the sketch to place it.

It depends on just how complex you have made your sketch. If you create your sketch to include a lot of fine detail for the feature then you may have a harder time dragging it than if you simplify your sketch. This is only my opinion, I'm sure everyone has their own workflow and techniques that work for them. But I'm sure someone will come along and straighten us all out on it.

10. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

+1

Not completely but...
    The "input" can have different origins...
    I've drawn an rectangle by using the "Rectangle by Center" command and measured my free clicked center:
    upload_2019-7-7_13-2-46.png
    Then i called the "Move tool":
    upload_2019-7-7_13-3-46.png
    I selected no entities. After a click on the "Direct Entry" button and leaving the Direct Entry window with the mousepointer, you see the coordinates of the creating point from the rectangle...
    I you now click on "Relative" and than back to "Absolute" the window is cleared for "Absolute"...

Regards
    Stefan

11. jhiker

jhiker Alibre Super User

I've read that twice and I still don't get it. Surely the 'from' co-ords should be 10/10 (P1) and the 'to' co-ords should be 30/20 (P3)?

12. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Jeff,

please draw a line and put the following dimensions to the line: P1(x=10mm, y=10mm) P2(x=30mm,y=30mm)
    You will get a line which looks like the line in the picture.
    Then use the "movel tool", click on "figures" and then select the line, use "direct entry" and fill in the values from the picture, click "Apply", fill in the values for "To" and click "Apply", click again on "Apply" and then you can take a look at your result.
    Regards
    Stefan

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  13. jhiker

jhiker Alibre Super User

Apply.png Result.png Copy.png Thanks. Can you explain why it doesn't work when 'copy' is not checked?

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Because the dimensions hold things fixed. You can't move something if it is fixed by constraints or dimensions, but you can make a copy of it.

15. jhiker

jhiker Alibre Super User

Ah! I never appreciated that - thanks!

16. PaulProe

PaulProe Senior Member

That's a good point, a reason to make a copy then delete the old one. ;)

17. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

OR, just edit the dimensions to move the sketch.

NateLiqGrav and Ralf like this.
  18. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

I've had times where I've dimensioned and constrained a Sketch to just itself, so once it's done I can click and drag the whole thing wherever I want on the sketch plane, or pick one point and dimension it horizontally and vertically so I can reposition the whole thing just by editing those two dimensions.

I think the only time I ever use the Move tool is if I'm working with a Sketch that I copy & paste'd into another sketch plane or part, just to get it somewhat close to where I want the origin.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019