1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Polishing" Alibre Design

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lew_Merrick, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Whereas there are lots of things needed to "improve" Alibre Design, the purpose of this Thread are making those (relatively minor) changes that "Polish" it. One of these "Polishing" activities that is already complete is our being able to (quickly) "rename Features" as we complete them. One of these "Polishing" activities that (to the best of my knowledge) has not been begun is to "copy" a "Hole Feature Definition" into the "Feature Description" area.

These are the types of things I hope to see developed here!

2. Lew_Merrick

To continue the "yet to be started" Polishing that I would like to see deals with the Hole Tool. In it's simplest form I might use the Hole Tool to create (say) Wheras there are lots of things needed to "improve" Alibre Design, the pupose of this Catagory are making those (relatively minor) changes that "Polish" it. One of these "Polishing" activities that is already complete is our being able to (quickly) "rename Features" as we complete them. One of these "Polishing" activities that (to the best of my knowledge) has not been begun is to "copy" a "Hole Feature Definition" into the "Feature Description" area. In it's simplest form I might use it to define (say) 5 Holes that are ø.375 X .750 Dp. Were the Hole Tool to copy that (if you will) "Base Definition" (ø.375 X .750 Dp) into the "Feature Identity" block it is then only left to me to add the "5X " to it to make that definition complete! Just think how "neat" it would be if every "Hole Tool Feature" actually described qwhat had been done???

3. DBC

DBC Senior Member

Can we add to your list? I have a list of my own with 6 or so polishing type of things.

4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello colleagues,

as a hole tool workaround:

1. open hole tool
    2. choose a preset from Presets and press CTRL C as long as the preset is marked

upload_2019-6-28_21-16-21.png

3. mark the entry in the field named Label

upload_2019-6-28_21-16-37.png upload_2019-6-28_21-16-49.png

4. press CTRL V

upload_2019-6-28_21-17-30.png

then you can position the hole on the part.
    After you press ok, you will have a meaningfull name in the feature list...

upload_2019-6-28_21-20-21.png

not automatic, but for me easy enough.

Regards
    Stefan

5. Lew_Merrick

Stefan -- It just does not work with "Standard Hole or Thread" definitions. Hole Preset System values, yes. Standard Hole of Thread, no.

6. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Lew,

you're right.
    Maybe i do to much of the same kind, but i'm using only a few different thread types...
    So building up a preset list(incl. thread types which are only "through all") for my needs is easy and the list fits most of the time.
    If i do need an "exotic" thread type once , it does not stress me to much to type it in manually.
    But also it won't rile me, if we get this functionality...

Regards
    Stefan

7. Lew_Merrick

Stefan and all -- My argument is that every Feature and Reference within a Model should be identified as to it's Function and Operational Basis. Thus, nearly all my Machined Parts start off with a Feature that describes the raw material from which it shall be Machined. Then each Machining Operation is represented (and Defined) by the Machining Steps that turn that piece of raw material into a Finished Part. Now to expand beyond "Polishing," I would like to be able to Hyperlink to an "external file" that defines my reasoning for approach I took. Such an External File could be: a text file, a spreadsheet, an FEA dataset, or something else that creayes the history behind the effort.

8. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Lew, until I finish other projects you may want to check out my Project Links script: https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/script-release-project-links.20933/

9. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Too many entry boxes (especially in hole tool) not linked to global parameters. GP's are awesome. Why we can't use them to drive hole features is beyond me. Not on the beta so maybe this has been addressed?

simonb65 likes this.
  10. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Lew,

it's worth to try Nate's ProjectLinks.
    Can you please post one of your parts that it's easier to me to understand your used nomenclature for features?

Regards
    Stefan

11. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

I think some of the issues are that some feature insert/edit are not the same workflow at others. If that was made more consistent in its approach, then the use of GP would become more universal across the product. There is no real excuse as to why all feature controlling parameters can't use a GP based source. Would make the code base easier to manage too from a developers point of view!

bigseb likes this.
  12. Lew_Merrick

Hi Stefan -- You mean like this?

Attached Files:

13. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Lew,
    yes, thank you.
    Now it's clearer for me.
    Am i right to say you're doing some kind of "manual CAM" in your design?
    Regards
    Stefan

14. Lew_Merrick

It is more a matter (see document below) of insuring that proper technique is maintained (I served my apprenticeship as a Tool & Die machinist under the auspices if a German Machinist's Giuld Master).

Attached Files:

15. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Yes, I also requested that.

BUT.... it could be, for now, a workaround of being able to have a "project file default" where all (I think there are at least 7) the various store and retrieve locations could be set to default to one directory.

With that, at least the entire project or any part of it, could be in one location with no "surprise saves". A part could be always in one place for every drawing, model, PDF, etc. The documentation for it could be placed there for a "one stop" location for ell about that part.

Ditto for any assembly, or any portion of a project, any library part, etc. A project could be indented directories, or the parts could be kept in a library, at your choice, since getting a part from someplace special, or storing to some other place, would NOT change the default, it would have to be changed manually if that option was selected (the other option would be to leave as is now.).

BTW, since the default save would NOT be back to the library, that would allow a quasi library, and part info could be stored there with the part.

Not everything we both want, but I'd take that for now.... I'd bet that setting the default would be easier than adding hyperlink capability.

Just to nudge the hyperlink.... even old time AutoCad LT had a version of that.... As did the PCAD PWB design program, etc. .... 20 years ago. IT's definitely not new or odd.

16. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello JST,
    How is the workflow in the other CAD programs to add an hyperlink to a part(or assembly or drawing or...)
    Is there a button to click on, or right mouse button to click or how does it work?
    Can you describe it for me?
    Thanks in advance
    Stefan

17. Lew_Merrick

My argument is that (if you will) "Standard Hardware" for a Project should all be located in a ("Project") "Standard Hardware Directory" to remove "duplicate" componentsa and (if you will) "Clean Up" the Project "Operational Component Storage Tree." This way "UnPackaging" a Project is simplified whenever or wherever it occurs. This is the "voice of experience" speaking here.

18. NateLiqGrav

19. Lew_Merrick

Hi Nate -- I did just download the code (not that my understanding of Python reached into the "good" category). How does this data get "associated" with the Project? -- Lew

20. NateLiqGrav

It should be fairly* user friendly with no need to understand the code.
    * I have a new version I'm testing that lets you drag and drop files, directories, and urls right in.

Alibre Script's GetUserData() and SetUserData() functions use Alibre's add-on interface to save data in the Alibre file (part, assembly) as a separate data stream. This data can be loaded the next time the file is opened.

*** To be clear my Project Links script only saves a link to the external files/directories, and urls. ***

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019