1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please add "hide Sketch / plane" function.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlackBird28, Oct 11, 2020.

1. BlackBird28

BlackBird28 Member

Dear developers,
    could you please add the feature to hide SINGLE/selected sketches and/or planes to make the userexperience a bit more userfriendly. If you have alot of different sketches (because you cannot reuse existing sketches like in Inventor / Fusion) it is getting more and more difficult to see your 3d Model or select the correct sketch.
    It is useless to only hide ALL sketches / Planes

btw.:
    Your "request a feature" button in the forum do not work.

2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Often mentioned... If you are logged in and you click on
    upload_2020-10-11_12-36-28.png

An additional Startpage will be opened and placed on top...

upload_2020-10-11_12-35-31.png

and when you look at the browser tabs, you will see there is also an tab for the feedback...

Regards
    Stefan

3. BlackBird28

BlackBird28 Member

and when you look at the browser tabs, you will see there is also an tab for the feedback...

Yes you are right. my PI-hole has blocked the server... now its on my whitelist.
    thx...

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Ho BlackBird -- The real key is to Rename all your Sketches and Features as you create them to present a Design Thought Path to anybody needing to review or analyze your work. -- Lew

5. BlackBird28

BlackBird28 Member

Hi Lew, yes you are right to rename features and sketches, but it is still very
    confusing if you have 10 different sketches and you cannot hide the ones you don't need all the time.

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

If your turn off sketch visibility, you'll only see the sketch that you are currently editing. It's in the reference display section of the View tab of ribbon. Not editing a sketch - none visible.

And you can re-use sketches by projecting to sketch the previous sketch and using 'maintain association' option.

Generally there are ways to do most things in Alibre that other CAD packages do - might not be exactly identical though.

7. BlackBird28

BlackBird28 Member

ok... maybe this can help a bit. I'l try this. thank you.
    And then i can select the sketch in the tree and then edit it..... sounds good to always hide sketches for me.

yes... but this generates another sketch that mess up the view. in Inventor you can reuse the same sketch over and over again. This makes it a lot cleaner.

yes... Alibre makes a few things better / easier than other cad programs.
    i don't expect the exact same workflow like in other packages. But maybe some things would be useful to adopt from other programs to make Alibre more powerful and user-friendly.

8. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

99.99% sure you can right click individually on a plane, axis, or point and select Hide.

BlackBird28 likes this.
  9. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Make that 100% Nathan ...

upload_2020-10-12_9-44-45.png

BlackBird28 likes this.
  10. BlackBird28

BlackBird28 Member

OMG... youre right... it did not know this. thank you.
    I think i can live with this workflow (hide all sketches).

Maybe a preview in the 3d-view of the sketch (if you click the sketch in the tree) whould be nice.
    to identify the correct sketch.. just in the case you are to lazy to rename the sketches properly.:D

edit:
    Oh man... the sketch preview is already implemented...
    im happy with this...

I think i have to go to bed...:rolleyes:
    I had to much Computer work today...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    simonb65 likes this.
  11. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Does that already. If you select or mouse over a sketch in the Design Explorer then it will highlight in the workspace.

Sketch Highlight.png

12. beastro

beastro Senior Member

What is more powerful and userfriendly for one does not necessarily apply to other people. In the end, you learn to live and work with one platform and get used to it. IMO there is little point in trying to squeeze one program into the workflow of another...

I personally always hide sketches and only work with them individually. It is easy enough to relate features to the sketches involved and naming everything (including extrusions etc.) logically takes you a long way towards working efficiently.
    There is a video in another forum section of a person who designed a spoked tire without knowing Alibre. It is very remarkable how he adapted almost instanteanously to Alibres workflow...

13. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Berthold -- As somebody who started using CAD in 1972 with the Interactive Design System I can assure you that "learning CAD systems" can be quite problematic whilst your "fingers are still learning." -- Lew