1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phantom constraints

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toybuilder, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Toybuilder

Toybuilder Member

I ran into a problem where a phantom constraint exists in my design until I close and reopen the design.

This happened recently with an assembly that initially consisted of two cylinders:

After creating and saving cylinder C1, I I created cylinder C2. For C2, I first defined a plane that referenced the front face of cylinder C1.

After finishing cylinder C2 (some minor embellishments) and saving it, I decided that I would like to break the explicit relationship between C2 and C1. I reopened C2 and edited the plane definition so that it no longer was based on the face on C1. Instead, I based the plane off C2's XY plane.

At this point, C2 should be able to move independent of C1. Instead, C2 was anchored to C1 no matter what I did. There were no inter-design relationship in the design tree. Only after I closed and reopened the design, C1 and C2 were no longer locked together.

(This is on V22)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021