1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Package File question

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by wazzu83, Aug 13, 2020.

1. wazzu83

wazzu83 Member

Is creating a Package File for an Assembly a safe and simple method of retaining the integrity a completed model before making revisions that may or may not be the final design?

Thanks.

2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Yes, it's a good (and safe) inbuilt way to take a 'snap shot' of the design and its constituent parts for sharing, backups, saving revision or just archiving a design.

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Wazzu -- You need to make certain that all your "Project Files" are located in a single Directory Tree based on the "top level" of a given Drive or "Unpacking" it can create quite a mess! My personal approach is to only use a Package based on a Drawing as a "review process" operation. As I create a Directory Tree for all the files making up a Project I can "7-zip" them to create a "full record" of a Project at any point in time. I just add the "YYYYMMDDa" (Year-Month-Day-"count for the day" -- as "a,b,c,d...") to the "7z" file name such that I can see the "timing" of the archive. -- Lew

4. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Alibre Package files ONLY package what is necessary for that currently opened file.

For example if you have an assembly open and package it - that package will not contain the drawing made of assembly - however any parts, sheet metal parts, subassemblies, global parameter files necessary for the assembly will be.

But if instead you opened the drawing for that assembly and package it - that package will contain the drawing, the assembly, any parts, sheet metal parts, subassemblies, global parameter files, and BOM.

So Alibre is currently setup that an entire project must be included in a single drawing (all parts detailed in a single drawing) for a package to include the entire project.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  5. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Nate -- My "point" is that maintaining a (if you will) "Project Directory Tree" means that (7-)zipping it contains everything (Models, Drawings, BoM's, spreadsheets, and text files) used to define that Project. -- Lew

6. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello colleagues,

i tend to use only one (max two) folder(s) for ALL files i use in a project no matter which kind they are. As i start the application first and then load a file from there and the filename regards to the content of it, it is no problem to hold the overview. And after the End" of the project i can archive it with all files (including the used "standard parts" using save as, also for revisions...) very easy. No hassle with complex folder structures...

Regards
    Stefan

simonb65 likes this.