1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opening a Global Parameter file asociated with an assembly

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by albie0803, Jul 15, 2018.

1. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

How can I easily open a Global Parameter file from inside an assembly? The global file has an update button but I cannot find any way to open it from the assembly.

The update button will update any files open that use the parameters but doesn't show what files are linked to it.

The assembly lets you create a new global file or reference an existing one but not edit an existing one.

Now that I have created an assembly I want as a template, I want to be able to open the assembly, open the linked global file and update it, click the update button and save. Done!

Unless I am totally missing something, this is not currently possible.

Please look at including this ability.

To my thinking the global parameters button should include a button to open the existing linked file.
    The linked file should show in the feature tree of any parts that use it in the same way that the BOM file shows in a drawing file and have a right click option to open it like an assembly part does.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

You have to open the file separately, either from the Open command in AD or from File Explorer - then with GLP and assembly open you can make changes.

Option to open the linked GLP file from assembly (or part) would be a convenience.

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

The thing I do is to name the Project Variables file the same as the Project that is Coordinates (and to place it into the Project Directory). That makes it easy to find.

4. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Lew, I would suggest you refer to it by its actual name i.e. Global Parameters. It is confusing for newcomers when different terminology is used for the same item. :)

markporter, oldfox and simonb65 like this.
  5. Lew_Merrick

Sebastian: (1) It is not a set of Paraneters, they are only Variables! (2) They are not Global, they only apply to a Project! Misnomers are misnomers.

6. albie0803

I hope this gets noticed and the links like I suggested added to either the next version or as a hotfix. It feels like the whole idea ended up only 80% thought out or implemented. It just needs to be completed to make the usage of of it quite user friendly.

As this template (I created) will be useful when needed but not used often, having the linked file shown in the feature tree as suggested will help to remind people (me) that the GLP exists. Particularly vault users, like myself, where project directories sort of don't exist (but they do). :)

7. Lew_Merrick

Continuing on in the Project Variables vein, besides the name improvements are needed in Declaration and Identity of the variables. I have a variable that was originally defined in (say) Part_Q. I later discover that it needs to be "promoted" to a Project Variable. We need a means to accomplish such a "promotion." I will argue (though not vociferously) that the ability to "demote" variables from the Project level to a Part or Assembly level should be available. And, of course, I argue that Variiables )Project, Part, or Assembly) need to allow definition of string data, validity data, as well as validity offset data to reach their full potential.

8. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

That was my idea too, but I have been unable to get global parameters to work reliably, i.e. that the changes made in the global file are really propagated throughout the project, and no longer try to use them. I have not been able to find a work flow that works every time. I hope they get an overhaul soon as the concept could be very powerful.
    Don

9. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

The procedure is the following that has worked for me:

1.-Design the Assemble I/O Project Assemble:
    1.1.-Make a sketch of assemblies on a sheet that define all the dependent and independent variables that are related to each other;
    1.2.-Make the Project Variable (GP) and save as in one folder;
    1.3. - Make the assemble with all parts involved and define the variables, Save in the same folder;
    1.4. - Open the Project Variable (GP) ;
    1.5. - Open the assemble;
    1.6. - Edit in place each part and assign the corresponding Project Variable (GP). Save in the same folder;
    1.7. - Make the Boom and Save;
    1.8. - Make the 2D Drawing, put in the boom (Material List & Description) and save as in the same Folder

2. - Edit the Assemble I/O Project Assemble:
    2.1. - Open Variable (GP), edit the variables that like change and save into the folder;
    2.2. - Open the assemble I/O Assemble Project that will immediately updates with the new dependencies. Save all in the same folder;
    2.3.-Open the 2D drawing that all view will appear with pink color. You must update with re-project view. Save in the same folder. Do not forget to put the dimension onto the black balls and only one dimension for many same parts distances that are dependents of a Pattern variable.

GIOV

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  10. albie0803

Thanks GIOV for the work flow list, its basically what I did. As I use the vault for storage, its not always obvious what files are connected to an assembly. What I feel should be the procedure when coming back to/reusing an assembly is:

1. Open associated drawing and do a Save All to get a new set.
    2. From the drawing, open the assembly.
    3. From the assembly, open the Global Parameter file
    4. Edit parameters and click update button.
    5. Close and save Parameter file.
    6. Close and save Assembly file.
    7. Update drawing views and make any changes to notation as needed.

My main issue here is that step 3 is not possible. Currently there is nothing in an assembly or part view that shows that a parameter file is associated with it or a way to edit one that is associated. As I said earlier, there needs to be an item in the tree view in the same way that the BOM shows up in a drawing tree and it should work just like editing the BOM does and an edit button added to the global parameter selection window.

11. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Hi albie0803,
    I will tried to follow you work flow and see the issue that you have described and let you know.