1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opening a DWFX File

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cutterguy, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:22 PM.

1. cutterguy

cutterguy Member

Got a bunch of files to cut and the project owner sent them in DWXF format. Any idea on how to open them? The pic below shows the error that pops up when I try to open it with Alibre. DWFX file.jpg

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 11:17 AM
  3. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

4. cutterguy

cutterguy Member

There are numerous programs (including a free Autodesk file viewer) to view DWXF files but I have yet to find a program that will extract the data without costing a lot of money

5. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I assume there are programs that will read Alibre files..... That's the problem with most CAD systems, the files are only readable with the program that created them.

Worse yet, most are not even readable with the actual program, if it is not up-to-date on revisions. The slightest version change often means the file is unreadable by earlier versions.

While the situation is understandable, it seems that conversions are possible. Even Microsoft, not known fo being co-operative, once provided a converting program to let older OFFICE versions read DOCX files, etc.

Often it is sufficient to even see the general rendering of the part or assembly, even if some things are not rendered perfectly. But a part created, or edited in the slightest way by a newer program is usually totally locked-out of any prior version, whether or not ut uses any new feature.

At one point Alibre had a "reader", if you could get through the very long install session necessary. Is there any sort of reader now available?

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

A non-activated copy of Alibre Design will work as a reader (after the trial period has expired). But note that you can't have 2 different versions of AD installed on the same computer.