1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only just noticed...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigseb, May 9, 2018.

1. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

... that the Moi section is missing. I assume Moi is no longer associated with AD?

2. KMoffett

KMoffett Senior Member

Things have been moved to "3rd Party Add-ons"
    Ken

3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Is Moi an add-on?

4. Bazzer

Bazzer Member

Hello Seb

"Is MOI an add-on?"

No MOI is brilliant, but you knew that anyway, today I showed one of my UAV customers MOI, in their prototype workshop I done a rough modern style wing in about 3 minutes, just with approximated guide curves at the leading and trailing edges but with a swept up tip and threw a wing section on it, hey presto it surfaced lovely.

They were very impressed with the smooth work flow and ease of use.

I think MOI is the most underrated piece of 3D CAD software that exists, I only found out about MOI through Alibre.

Regards

Baz

kholish, Jonathan, swertel and 3 others like this.
  5. swertel

swertel Alibre Super User

I think Alibre should acquire MOI. Then it would just exist in the regular forums, no need for a special forum or finding references for it in a 3rd party forum.

Max, how's that credit rating for Alibre, LLC? Still stellar?

6. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I have asked (suggested) that Moi be built-in to to AD so users can the flip between surface and solid creation (much like Catia). Not sure how many votes it has though.

kholish, MKR and Bazzer like this.
  7. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

+1

Bazzer likes this.
  8. Bazzer

Bazzer Member

Seb

That would be a very good idea, did you get any reaction when this was suggested?

How do you think MOI stacks up against Powershape? I saw people using Powershape at Formaplex for adding returns to models for composite patterns to be produced, they were rarely defeated !! However I feel that I can do the same with MOI.

regards

Barrie

9. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I haven't checked in a while. Please go to suggestions and upvote!

Modelling-wise I rate Moi higher, mainly because it is fresh and far simpler to use. Powershape is very dated and it shows. But Powershape does drawings to which Moi doesn't (although it can now dimension). In the end though I would always recommend Moi because 1) it is way cheaper, 2) it has more functions 3) it is easier to use, 4) it runs on Linux and 5) it isn't owned by Autodesk.

10. aptivaboy

aptivaboy Senior Member

I have asked (suggested) that Moi be built-in to to AD so users can the flip between surface and solid creation (much like Catia). Not sure how many votes it has though.

That would be awesome! I love MOI. It took me a long time to learn it, unlike most folks, but once I did... Wow.

bigseb likes this.
  11. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

What is the name of your suggestion? I've searched on "MOI" and only two come up. One is about Advanced Parametric Surfaces and the other only mentions MOI as an example to auto set the 3D sketch plane orientation. Neither suggest that MOI be built in to Alibre. When did you suggest it? If it was on the old system could it be that it didn't get copied into the new suggestion site?

12. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

HERE

Its an addition I made to Max's suggestion re surfacing. Not sure if I should make a completely new suggestion just for this...