1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, one annoying fault in existing Alibre

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JST, Sep 2, 2020.

1. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The "save as" is different, and MUCH more annoying, for assemblies than for parts.

You cannot even see the entire existing name, it is in a tiny "cell", vs the straightforward data entry window used for parts. With the part version, you can see what is already used, you can see the entire name, and no multi-click nonsense trying to get to the right edit status.

The assembly version is just inconvenient to an un-necessary extreme in format. (No problem with the "where do I put it?" question, that is OK.

save as part.png save as assy.png

2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello JST,
    If i do a "Save As" here, the dialog preselects the folder where the assembly is actually saved.
    You have do drag the window to a greater size (which will be remembered) and than use the slider to go down to the marked folder.

Regards
    Stefan
    upload_2020-9-2_23-15-33.png

3. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

You are aware the panel is resizeable?

upload_2020-9-3_7-38-20.png

4. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Even at the max size with the name widened it is still annoying in other ways, and I am at a loss to understand why a DIFFERENT format entirely was chosen for the very same type operation.

Uaually one wants a program to be consistent across similar operations. Alibre has had a problem with that for years.

It's as if the programmer chose a format primarily for debugging the function, and just left it as the actual format to be used forever, for lack of any better idea.

It seems that we are still doing workarounds for silly choices made many years ago and never fixed since. Yes, readjusting the crummy version is a workaround. So is the other stuff that may need to be done, including writing things down, to use the existing version of "save as".

Yes I realize that different data is displayed, showing the parts involved. In years of using Alibre, it has never even once been important to know all that, or have it displayed. I cannot imagine why that is important, other than to the original programmer. Maybe if you were going to not save some parts, but that has never come up, and I don't even know if it is an option..

I am always much more interested in what the name is, AND in what assemblies are already present, AND what THEIR names are. I want to make the new named assembly fit in with them, and want the reminder. I have often had to close, go search the assemblies, and write things down, when a rational save-as like the part version, would show it to you without a fuss.

I already know what it is I am saving, and it's a case of "sure, all that stuff", as to what it is composed of. Often I am going to edit it to become another part anyway, so I am even less concerned about the list of parts.

Alibre is so intuitive in many (not all) operations, and then there are goofy things that stand out like a sore thumb every time you use them.

5. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

For clarity what your asking for is a Windows SaveFileDialog to popup when saving an assembly and it's contents instead of a Windows FolderBrowserDialog?
    This is really a Microsoft originating problem. They created the standard dialogs to be so different - Alibre is just using them. However I can see some advantages like you list if Alibre made a custom solution. Being able to see existing filenames would be helpful.

dlaery likes this.
  6. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

I think you meant to say that you have had a problem with Alibre for many years? :D

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

You TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT (shouting).

There ALREADY is the model for this in Alibre. Please DO try to keep up here.......

If you go back and check, the issue is that the part dialogue and the assembly dialogue are TOTALLY DIFFERENT for the same "save as" function. The part dialogue is much nicer, and there is ZERO reason that I can see why they have to be different.

8. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Sigh... here we go again.

This is why I no longer report any problems to Alibre. All problems are simply said to be my personal problem, since Alibre is obviously perfect..

Nothing ever improves when that attitude that you show becomes the normal. But there are some folks here who "get it".

Hunter, I use alibre all the time. I like it. If I did not give a darn I would not mention anything. I am starting to not give a darn, and that "alibre is perfect, it is all YOUR problem" attitude is part of why.

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

One small difference is that the Part dialogue only has to deal with a single file. The assembly Save As has to be able to deal with the assembly file and all components (even if a lot of the time it's juts the top level file that gets saved).

That doesn't mean that it can't be improved.

Please all remember that one person's 'witty quip' can be seen as a personal attack by others. This forum is supposed to be about the software - not a place to comment on each other. It would be a shame to have to delete 2 of the above threads, as it would disrupt the flow of the thread.

10. NateLiqGrav

@JST I understood your point precisely. You missed the point I made. Alibre didn't design the dialogs they are only calling for the standard Microsoft dialogs to be displayed.

simonb65 likes this.
  11. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi David -- I feel reasonably certain that you remember my "diatribes" against "ProEnginner" (which I usually refer to a Amateur Materbator). However, the "feature" it had (1995-2006 within my experience) was the ability to Rename Component Files within the context of it's (equivalent to the Alibre's) File Explorer. I wish such an "ability" could be added to Alibre Design! -- Lew

12. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello JST,

i know your not a really fan of scripting...
    I have made a very little script to show an alternative way to do a "save as".
    I'm not sure if this sequence shows what you want to have as a native function.

A view of the folder before script operation:
    upload_2020-9-4_21-7-51.png

First requester after script start with newly typed name for the top level assembly:
    (it is a standard requester available in alibre script)
    upload_2020-9-4_21-8-20.png

Short info after script has done the job:
    upload_2020-9-4_21-8-37.png

A view of the folder after script operation:
    (the top level assembly has the new name and the constituents are saved with their old names)
    upload_2020-9-4_21-9-4.png

You can use the script of course also to change the folder for your assembly.

Script use as "ever" on own risk.

Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

13. NateLiqGrav

I remembered something. Instead of using the top button (that sets all save paths the same) you can click the individual folder icons (looped in green) to choose the location and file names individually using the dialog you prefer.
    Note: I just used your screenshot to show what icons - that isn't the dialog that pops up when you click them.
    20200905_175551.png

14. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

o_Oo_O I don't see the issue in your screen shots that you are stating is a problem. On the image you posted I can see the entire file name.

But just in case it comes up again, you do know that the file name column can be expanded to show the longest file name in the column. It's a standard Windows process to either click and drag the header bar over or double-click on it and the column will snap to show the longest file name in the list.

ExpandFile NameCell.png

15. JST

JST Alibre Super User

All this says one thing only......... more workarounds.......

Sure, you CAN, if you care to, change the display each and every single time you use the feature. You can, if you want, get nearly the same display as with the "part" dialogue, IF you click the right icon each and every single time you use the feature.

What you CANNOT do, apparently, is make the change stay changed...... each and every time you use the "save as", you have to play the "tap dancing centipede game" to make the display work like the other one. The default is the default, and that's all she wrote.

It only makes it worse to have the display change back every time to the much less useful version, and require more clickety-click to appear in a useful fashion, each and every time.

Pong that for a game o' marbles, It's as easy to just use it as it is as to click until it looks better. But it is abysmally stupid for it to be a totally different default appearance even so. It defaults to the display that is hardest to use.

16. DavidJ

Lew - the Save As command does allow you to change the name for any components of the assembly that you wish to (as well as the save location) - whilst leaving the originals. Is that what you were looking for - or did you mean something else ??

17. NateLiqGrav

@JST Please see the attached video. Is that not what you want?

Attached Files:

18. Lew_Merrick

Hi David -- I often have Assemblies with serious dozens (if not hundreds) of Components! Trying to "scroll through" such a list within the SaveAs command if (to say the least) frustrating. I have such a "many component Assembly." It has a Part (let's call it "2020M00505 Support Frame Component -- Rev A" and it (in that format) may or may not be used within other Assemblies. However this needs to have (let's say) mounting holes moved and reorganized to support a different Component Part. This "new version" will be identified, archived, and stored as "2020M00505 Support Frame Component -- Rev B."

It is fairly simple to find "2020M00505 Support Frame Component -- Rev A" in the Files Explorer and edit the Name by merely changing the "A" to a "B." The next Save of the Assembly creates the "2020M00505 Support Frame Component -- Rev B" file within my Project directory. Editing it to make the needed changes and creating a Drawing of the "Rev B" version completes the "change" and (making a ass-you-me-tion here) when I next Archive my Project the "central files" should be so updated. Because I ReNamed it within the context of the UsedOn Assembly it (and it's component connections) are all appropriately updated.

Simple??? -- Lew

dlaery likes this.
  19. DavidJ

Lew,

You can do that re-name in the Save As command already. Either I'm not following your 'simple', or you are using terms differently to me.

Do you really mean 'File Explorer' - as in Windows File Explorer ? If you do, then I guess you are requesting that renaming a file outside of AD should not lead to future problems.

Do you perhaps mean the Design Explorer? - there have been previous requests to be able to re-name components within the Design Explorer.

20. Lew_Merrick

Hi David -- Having to "step through" a long "SaveAs listing" to make changes is a PITA! Doing it within the Alibre "Files Explorer" is much simpler and less error prone. -- Lew

dlaery likes this.