1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, a problem returned, what to do now?

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by JST, Mar 12, 2020.

1. JST

JST Alibre Super User

View attachment 29765 The herringbone did not come back, but, out of the blue, the odd transparency returned, where it acts as if the "all edges" has been checked, but in fact no such thing has been done.

At the same time, the HOOPS shading etc disappeared. It looks more like the display before HOOPS. But the Hoops shading etc was OK when I saved it, as far as I now, and I never made any change to the display properties. Whatever happened was NOT commanded. <edit> I checked and the selections are all correct, with "visible edges", and so forth.

I had recently been editing the model, which is of a space that has a shop in it that I have been trying to work out a satisfactory layout for, to replace the current arrangement of machines. I work on it from time to time.

So, I had been editing it, and saved it a couple days ago. Did NOT change any settings. Opened it up today, and a variety of assemblies that were fine last time I looked at it, were now partly transparent, even when zoomed in on them.

Edit: I found another model that was OK before, but now shows the fractured highlighting mentioned in another post relating to V21 preview.
    Again, this was not commanded, AND it shows the odd transparency, even when zoomed in, as well as not showing the HOOPS style display.

The global selection for "legacy mode" is NOT selected, so HOOPS mode should be in-use.

1) is this behavior of any interest at the moment?

2) If it is, how do I get the assembly to you without any modifications? It is a rather large model with many parts and subassemblies. Going through the constituents would be a long and arduous process. The directory it is in is large also, a couple of gB, with many versions of the model, and a large number of parts etc. Much too large to deal with adequately.

transparency returned.png

Fractured highlight.png

zoomed transparency issue.png

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  2. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

Make a pkg file, it will only grab what's needed.

3. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Not a good idea.

Problem is that the issue is KNOWN to be tempporarily cleared, or masked, by having the program alter the files AT ALL. It may take a couple saves to completely clear it, as it did with this very same file a couple weeks ago.

Creating a pkg file means using the program to manipulate and re-save the files, the very same actions that seem to mask the issue. David asked for unaltered files, I am just trying to figure out how to get them without a huge mass of data, and yet without removing anything essential.

It seems very likely this issue is something in the program, since the file was OK a couple days ago, displaying perfectly, and had done for at least a couple weeks. Since now it is showing up with the problem again, it is reasonable to think that the program itself did something to it.

I suppose it is "possible" that there is a computer problem, but if so, it is one the WIN 10 diagnostics have not yet found.

4. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

If the assembly is simple enough (and the original post of the herringbone effect was), then just zip the files. i.e. don't let Alibre save them!

Would be interested to see what the difference in the file content is between a problematic file and one that has been re-saved and the problem no longer manifests itself. Hopefully Alibre has already done that on the herringbone issue and this may be a similar symptom. Then, the big problem to solve then is, WHY does the file get into the bad state in the first place! That's the nightmare developers deal with on a daily basis, so say it's the 'interesting' and 'fun' part of the job!

5. JST

JST Alibre Super User

It's not simple. Many subassemblies, and hundreds of parts (some repeated many times). That's the issue, ad maybe the cause.

Model is about 40 foot in longest dimension, and some parts may have a smallest dimension of well under an inch. And that is with some of the subs simplified

6. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

JST -- What I have noticed is a (if you will) "default change" in the definitions of "Assembly Component" importation data that requires me to "redefine" the "color status" of all component Parts of an Assembly. I would love to have this condition disappear. -- Lew

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Interestingly, there are OTHER models much smaller, that do the same thing now.

The set screws are imported, but the collet is a "made part" in Alibre, and it shows the issue also.

BOTH "legacy mode" and "use glass mode" are unchecked.
    more bad transparency 2.png

View attachment 29774

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  8. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I would love to open one of your models and try to replicate these issues. Is that an option? Dropbox, maybe?

9. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The "knee tool assy" is quite small. But ANY saving process through Alibre (such as package) may change the characteristics, and I do not think a ZIP file is allowed.

Actually it was too large..... but not anymore

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  10. JST

JST Alibre Super User

And.... today, when I look at exactly the same unaltered files, the HOOPS display is perfectly fine, and no shadowed-through edges appear.

30 in ago, they were the same as they had been, no shading, with edges showing through, and the machine has not even been turned off in the interim.

The only thing odd is that highlighted surfaces still tend to show the "fractured look".

So----- why does the display change with NO command to change anything?

11. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Opened it. No issues. Cranked all quality setting to max. No issues.

12. JST

JST Alibre Super User

That agrees with the post just before yours. I don't think it is a "file" issue.

The issue seems to be that the PROGRAM gets "stuck" in a mode where it will NOT DO the HOOPS rendering correctly, even though that has been commanded by the settings.

The "sticking" seems to be persistent for a while, possibly until a re-start, or maybe a re-boot of the machine.

I do not know how to report that, as there is no actual "evidence" aside from the screenshots.

But if it does that again, I will try restarting the program and then re-booting, to see what "resets" the screwy rendering to be correct.