1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member seeking help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by densman, Mar 22, 2021.

1. densman

densman New Member

Hello.
    New to the Forum and Alibre . I am trying to create a solid model of the PDF sketch I uploaded that I created in Alibre from a customers hand drawn sketch.

I cant get the 1.125 spherical radius too generate properly around the periphery of the .875 hex .. I have been
    sketching a enclosed generalized profile on the XZ and also YZ plane. Have tried the cut and the add revolved
    function. The few completed revolves I managed to generate were not good to say the least.
    I am hoping someone can explain the strategy and process to achieve what I need and ideally in a step by step explanation.

One of the challenges is I am not sure a 1.125 radius can be created to be tangent to the top (.312) and fall some were near the non dimension side of the O.D.

Thanks for any help or suggestions .
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Hi densman and welcome to the forum.

I'm not clearly understanding exactly what you want to accomplish. Can you upload the sketch as you have it so far? I don't know if you are trying to draw a round edge on the top of just the 6 side edges? Your sketch would be worth the proverbial thousand.

3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

The 1.25 fillet is way bigger than the part. Drawing needs to be checked.

4. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I reckon that since the part is only 0.312 high maybe the fillet should be 0.25? Check with the lead engineer.

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

And...

welcome to the clan. :)

6. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

@densman

Here is what I think you may be looking for.

Attached Files:

7. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

I just eyeball guessed at half of the height for the fillet

8. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I've come to understand that these sort of details aren't hyper important for some users, particularly the hobbyists. I don't know what this is for but generally if the information given is incorrect then that should be cleared up first.

9. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

+100

10. sz0k30

sz0k30 Senior Member

Looks like radius should be .125 not 1.25.

11. densman

densman New Member

Thank you all for replying,I appreciate it.
    Yes my mistake,it should be 1.250 radius.
    Oldfox. yes I am tying to round the edge on top.not radius the hex facets.

12. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

You can create a 1.25 R fillet but it is likely, as stated, that the 1.25 is a typo and should be .125. Here are images of both for comparison.

SphericalRadius.png

SphericalRadius - .125R.png

13. densman

densman New Member

Hello
    First I want to thank all of you for your quick reply's and apologize for my delay. I composed a response yesterday but it would not post . Think the attached file I added wasn't being accepted. Anyway.
    HaroldL: That is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I was placing a profile sketch inside the body on a Z plane. Yours looks look it is on top of the body. Can you explain the strategy of how you created your model.
    I am waiting to hear from my customer if the 1.25 radius is just some random form or has a function.
    Again thank you all for your responses and the welcome.
    Dave

14. densman

densman New Member

Hello
    I was able to figure it out. HaroldL Your images were instrumental in my success. Thank you.
    Dave

15. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Dave, Glad to help out. That is the same method I use to put chamfers on hex nuts and the heads of hex head bolts. I am uploading the model (with configurations) and images of the sketches for anyone else that may have questions about it.

R1.25
    1.25Radius.png

R.125
    .125Radius.png

C30 Deg
    30DegChamferSketch.png

C30 Deg Result
    30DegChamfer.png

Attached Files: