1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Feature Overview + Things to do

Discussion in 'Features of the New Forum + Discussion' started by Max, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! Aside from the visual difference, a lot has been upgraded. This post will help you to take full advantage.

Set your profile picture:
    • Click your name at the top right
    • Click Personal Details
    • Click the image in the Avatar section
    Fill out your profile, options, and privacy settings:
    • Click your name at the top right
    • Click Personal Details
    • On the left, you will see all the information and options that relate to your profile:
      upload_2017-9-12_18-54-42.png

Suggest and vote on new features:
    • On the main Forum page, you'll see a new button if you are signed in:
      upload_2017-9-12_18-48-43.png
    • Click on it - your forum credentials sign you in to our new suggestion platform automatically
    Watch threads:
    • On the top right of any threads, you can click the Watch Thread button to get email updates:
      upload_2017-9-12_18-57-34.png
    Contribute to the user gallery:
    • Replacing AlibrePowered.com, we have a new User Gallery feature that doesn't require a separate sign in. Click on the User Gallery tab.
    • Be sure to mark your uploads as viewable by everyone.
      upload_2017-9-12_18-59-33.png
    Share interesting files, add-ons, scripts, etc.
    • A new section called Resources allows you to share things you believe others might find useful.
      upload_2017-9-12_19-0-53.png
    • This could be standard part files, material definition lists, AutoHotKey scripts - just about anything.
    Format your posts more effectively with the rich text editor
    • There's a lot of good features in the rich text editor
    • Embed videos, images, code, quotes, and strikethroughs
    Tag your content
    • At the bottom of posts, you can tag items to help other users find information more quickly

upload_2017-9-12_19-8-0.png
    Like posts that do a good job of explaining something
    • For the millennial in us all, click the Like at the bottom right of a post
      upload_2017-9-12_19-15-40.png
    • Alternatively, you can continue to say "thank you" like a gentleman/woman :D
    Follow and Ignore users
    • Does that user always have insightful things to say? Or, maybe it's the other way around. Click their profile name and select Follow or Ignore.
      upload_2017-9-12_19-19-24.png

Keep track of who quotes you and replies to things you care about:
    • Use the Alerts section to check status alerts
      upload_2017-9-12_19-11-29.png
    Coming soon: Mark Resolved
    • Soon you will be able to mark threads as resolved, visually indicating to users that a good answer has been provided by the community or by Alibre.
    Quick Tip:
    To quote someone, simply select their text with the mouse - a Reply button will pop up - click that to auto-reply with a quote.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    swertel and kev h like this.
  2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Matt - I'm not seeing the same layout as you show, no Avatar section; no Custom Title section; etc, etc. I am using Firefox, if that makes a difference. no avatar.PNG no avatar.PNG no avatar.PNG no avatar.PNG

3. eric@velmex

eric@velmex Member

Why are posts missing?

4. Max

Can you be a bit more specific please? Posts should not be missing in general. However, if a post was made after the data backup prior to the migration to this forum, then it would not have been transferred over. There was a message in the old forum indicating that posts made after a certain date would not be transferred over.

5. Max

Hi Harold, please check and see if you can view the avatar area now. The max file size of the avatar upload was incorrectly set to 0, so after changing that I'm hoping that is resolved. You won't be able to see custom titles, that's an admin only thing for the moment. If anything else is missing - please tell me specifically what it is as it's due to permissions and has to be changed individually.

Signature section should also work now.

6. HaroldL

Thanks Max, Both avatar and signature are working now.:)

7. Wade Waterman

Wade Waterman Member

Hi, Is there a way to get the forum button in the drop down help menu to redirect to the new forum address? Thanks. Wade

8. Max

Good catch! Yes.

9. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

When I click on the Suggest a feature button I get 2 tabs opening. The feature page and another copy of the forum front page.

10. Max

Strange. What browser?

11. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

Firefox 55.03 64bit

12. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

Same happens in Edge - if not paying attention, you can think 'suggest a feature' hasn't come up, as it is behind the copy of the Forum.

13. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Same happens in Chrome!

14. BobSchaefer

BobSchaefer Member

I just tried it on my version of chrome, and it worked as expected, a new tab opened with focus. It kind of surprised me that it wasn't an Alibre page though.

15. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

On my Chrome the feature suggestion opens a new tab 'Receptive' and a second 'Alibre forum' tab. When to select back to Alibre in the receptive tab, that tab goes to Alibre forum ... so I end up with 3 x Alibre Forum tabs open. It 'should' navigate to the receptive site and back in the same tab to be user frendly. Its all down to the command used in javascript or php that determies if you just navigate to or open a new tab when you redirect to another page!

16. HaroldL

I get the same action in Firefox.

17. cebea

cebea New Member

Hello, I have one proposal related to functionality of Alibre Design. Now we can see the list of parts (with their location) an assembly consists of and it is a good feature. But we need also to know in which assemblies a part is used. Scanning of a location pointed by user to find all assembly files and searching in their above mentioned lists would be enough to generate the list of such assemblies. I understand that it may consume much time depending from quantity and sizes of assembly files. Please, don’t advise using Vault because we can’t afford this add-on. Thank you for any answer.

18. MarcusWolschon

MarcusWolschon Senior Member

I like the "suggest a feature".
    I was surprised that the removed mesh feature wasn't mentioned there yet
    (only as the very hard convert-to-solid but not the simpler meshes-as-1st-order-objects)

https://receptive.io/app/#/case/73669