1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needed Improvements to the Drafting Module

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Lew_Merrick, May 12, 2020.

1. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

2. DavidJ

YES - already there.

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

4. Lew_Merrick

Hi David -- Why does not information "leap to the front" when an (Anti-)Help search is made? -- Lew

5. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

I see that the Individual Sheet Number can be added, but not the Total Sheets ???

6. DavidJ

Sheet xOFy.jpg

Sheet Number is a 'smart note' - it includes both numbers.

jfleming likes this.
  7. Lew_Merrick

Ah, but how does one implement it? The Anti-Help system is of no use! -- Lew

JST likes this.
  8. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

Sheet numbering is built in to templates by default. Add another sheet to the drawing file and it goes from 1 of 1 to 2 of 2, 3 of 3 etc. If you reorder the sheets they automatically renumber.

9. DavidJ

10. wazzu83

wazzu83 Member

There are several keyboard shortcuts available that are Windows based. You can find them with Character Map (charmap.exe.)

It involves holding down the Alt key and typing 4 digits on the number pad then releasing the Alt key.

For example:

Diameter symbol Ø is Alt + 0216
    Degree symbol ° is Alt + 0176
    Squared (superscript 2) ² is Alt + 0178
    Cubed ³ is Alt + 0179

The lower right corner of character map reveals the Alt code for the selected symbol.

upload_2020-5-16_10-0-57.png

jfleming likes this.
  11. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

If you create a hole utilizing the Hole function you can't add tolerances to the "smart" dimensions in the drawing. For example, if I want a hole for a dowel pin and I use the hole tool to create a .250 ˅ Thru hole. When dimensioning using the "Add Hole Callout" it shows as "2x Ø.250 ˅ Thru" There is no way to say that it is "".250 +/- anything"". The only way is a convoluted work around by putting in a bunch of spaces "2x Ø.250 ˅ Thru" and then adding a note to squeeze in there. Said note, then is not attached to the actual dimension, so if you move something around, it gets lost.

Attached Files:

12. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

If you manually place a centerline in the drawing, and then decide to "insert centers" to show the centers of holes, it wipes out the centerlines you created by hand.

13. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

dimensions should "snap" together...

Attached Files:

14. DavidJ

They do snap on my system (v21).

15. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Here is another common issue I deal with. hole6.jpg

16. DavidJ

v21 increases the count for the callout to cope with patterns and mirrors. In this example one hole was made with hole tool - it was patterned x 3 - all were then mirrored. The callout is correct, even if the lines might benefit from tweaks.
    mirrorPatternHole.jpg

jfleming likes this.
  17. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

David, I am on V21 Build 21034. Just updated things last week. And I stand corrected on the mirrored hole dimensioning issue in particular. (It's a Monday morning, I clicked the wrong thing on my view, D'OH --- sorry about that)

18. DavidJ

like this?
    tweaked leader.jpg

Maybe ask can Alibre? or how do I?

19. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Yes, just like that. How do I do it? I must drag it to the right of centerline until it "flips" I don't see any right click option to "flip" it. Little things like this should be easy to see/find how to do it. I shouldn't have to ask. (I don't mean this in any way negative, sorry if it comes across that way).

Anyway, after poking around, I see now if I "edit" it and unselect "Smart Anchor" then change the setting, it will do what I requested.

(Right Click + "Flip") sure seems a lot easier/quicker though. Anything that can save time is a huge bonus for making drawings.

Thank you for your help/comments.

20. Lew_Merrick

Hi "J" -- "THRU" is the default definition of a Ho;e ("Feature") otherwise it has a "Deep" designation. Additionally, you create a "Property" to define the "display" of a Dimension in your Drawing Format sheet. -- Lew