1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needed Improvements to the Drafting Module

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Lew_Merrick, May 12, 2020.

1. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

The purpose of the thread is yo define "improvementss' and "polishing" needed to may the Alibre Design Drafting Module the best.

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi All -- My thought is to define "lacks" that, when dealt with, will make the Alibre Design Drafting Module a goal for the industry. My first such "suggestion" is that we need to be able to define a "default Font and Pitch for each Drawing Format. A "close second" is my suggestion that we be able to "assign Layer values to Features within a Draw3ing (based on Drawing Format of course). By this I maean that (say) Bills of Materialas and Callot objects be assigned to a user defined Layer.

Let the gas on the fire begin!!! -- Lew

3. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Good idea Lew.
    For me it is urgent two point to be better WorkSpace:
    1.- Able to gives Area, Area Centroid and Area Moments;
    2.- Able to "reproject View" directly from GP(Variable) without open and save the assemble Workspace.

4. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

• Arc Length Dimensions - with Arc length symbol optionally above the dimension or in front of the dimension.
    • Arc Angle Dimensions - self explanatory.
    • Baseline Dimensions - first click defines baseline and every subsequent clicks create new dimensions from here to the baseline (with proper offsets).
      Screenshot_20200512-214801_Gallery.jpg
    • Chain Dimensions - first click starts a dimension and every subsequent click creates new dimensions from here to the previous click.
      Screenshot_20200512-215129_Chrome.jpg
    • Layers drop down picker - layer section or application depending on if somethings are preselected before choosing a layer and it must exist for users of toolbars and users of the ribbon.
    • Dimensions Style drop down picker - same as the above but for dimension styles.
    • Text Style drop down picker - same as the above but for text styles.
    • Properties Paint Brush - pick a object as the paint then anything clicked gets painted with those object's properties (depending on User setting for which properties to apply).
    • Cut/Copy and Paste of entire sheets to the same or other drawings (while maintaining views, dimensions, text and everything).
    • Cut/Copy and Paste of Views to the same or other sheets (even sheets on other drawings and while maintaining views, dimensions, text and everything).
    • Rotate Views based on user selected edge being made horizontal or vertical (and maintaining that through design changes while maintaining views, dimensions, text and everything).
    • Change configuration of existing views (while maintaining views, dimensions, text and everything).
    There is more but this is a good start.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    cadtec, axeme, Hunter and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

Mass values and CoG symbols that are associative.

PCDs for circ hole patterns, centrelines between hole centres

Ability to reassociate dangling dimensions

Properties paint brush

Set your font in one place. Font sizes, bold italic as before

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Please remember that though a forum discussion may be useful to discuss/debate feature requests, it is not an official way to submit them.

Some of these 'one line wishes' are open to interpretation as to exactly what the requestor means, and what benefit it would bring.

Some (if read exactly as written) are already present in Alibre Design. Presumably the requestor either means something slightly different, wants it in a different place, or is perhaps not aware of existing functionality. But how do we know which applies?

Could I respectfully request that a bit more detail is given? I'm sure none of you want to be back here after the implementation of one of these, arguing 'no, that isn't what I really meant...'

7. NateLiqGrav

I agree that some probably need more information. I tried to include everything I thought was important. That said the ones I listed are pretty standard in other 3d and 2d CAD softwares. If there are specific ones I need to elaborate on please ask about them specifically.

And respectfully using the "Suggest a Feature" feedback site is a waste of time.
    upload_2020-5-13_8-12-10.png

jfleming and simonb65 like this.
  8. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

+1, I've submitted numerous suggestions, and as all the suggestions on there, they remain "Not Reviewed" and all over 3 years old!

9. DavidJ

Nate - submitting ticket (after any discussion between users has concluded) is probably the best option. The suggest a feature is currently a waste of space - (ALL let's not have multiple off topic posts here about that....)

If 'standard' in another system - either explain the detail, or say which system you like the functionality of.

In your post the wording for your Layers drop down picker doesn't tell me what it's for or how it differs from the existing layers drop down on the in-place editing menu. It's probably a wording issue - but the sentence doesn't tell me anything.

Please assume that you are explaining to somebody with little to no knowledge of drafting - hopefully we do have some knowledge, but you can't rely on others to know what you mean. If you don't make it obvious, we might all take different meanings.

10. NateLiqGrav

When it comes to detailing drawings AutoCAD is the standard. When in doubt see what they do.

The Alibre Design in-place editing menu is nice but doesn't let you change the current layer used for creating new objects. That setting is hidden at the bottom of the file properties > Layers dialog. It also doesn't tell you what layers have visibility turned off or are locked like AutoCAD.
    upload_2020-5-13_9-18-35.png

jfleming likes this.
  11. DavidJ

Clicking on Layers in Ribbon, Toolbar, or Ctrl+L does take you straight there, and shows similar information to ACAD

So - if am I understanding you correctly, the main point would be to have current layer always visible on a dropdown - opening the dropdown would show the other layers and give a (simpler) way to set current? It would also let you manipulate visibility, colour, locked for all layers ?

Some users say they prefer Alibre's un-cluttered UI, does this clutter it ? (there probaly is no 'right' answer to that).

12. NateLiqGrav

Yes.
    Even better.

13. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

The people behind Alibre really seem passionate about the product, so it is in that spirit that people would tend to post here. I agree that the Suggest a Feature option doesn't look promising, I had a look there and it looks like there is little or no activity.

If a ticket is the better approach, then I'll do that.

14. DavidJ

Hunter - if you do that, do include more detail. The lack of clear definition was my main point...

15. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

No problem, I'll do that and some screenshots too

16. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I would agree on no right answer.

An "uncluttered UI" is fine, but it can result from doing everything via the menus, and that means a lot of mousing around to REACH the menus. That was my big issue with the old constraints window, if you needed to "undo", you had to mouse around and do the click dance. That actually still happens due to the odd way the new window works, but it is lots better in many ways.

If you start making everything accessible from RMB drop-downs, you risk making the drop-down cover up the parts you want to apply the commands to. There is no winning that with traditional approaches.

17. M00m137

M00m137 Member

1. +1 for re-attaching dimensions that have lost associativity (might have ranted about that recently elsewhere)
    2. Keyboard shortcuts for text symbol insertion - I am fed up with trying to navigate that symbol box every time I want to put in a diameter symbol (surprisingly often)
    3. Ability to attach text notes and feature control (tolerance) boxes to dimensions and have them move with them - again, ranted about that recently too
    4. Ability to quickly suppress one of the line-and-arrows on a diameter dimension i.e. keep it as a diameter but using the "radius" style with just one arrow pointing to the feature (note to self - is this ISO compliant? Never checked)
    5. +1 for PCDs.
    Off the top of my head...

18. DavidJ

PCD.jpg

Or does the existing PCD capability need modifying / extending?

19. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

1) I have an assembly drawing. In the section view, I'd like to choose multiple parts and change the properties of the cross hatching for the group, en masse. Right now it appears you must do it all one at a time. Very time consuming and monotonous/waste of time.

2) BOM "editor/creator" needs to feel more like Excel. No taskbar for simple tasks of text alignment./size/position/etc. A lot of extra clicking.

3) I have a thru hole that I want to dimension as a diameter, however it's only picking up arc segments that are "in front" of the hole, so it will only let me dimension the radius. (there are other features at the face of part creating the arc segments, i just want to pick the hole at the 'back' of the part)

4) BOM Callouts... I have an assembly, with several sub-assemblies, however the BOM picks up all of the parts within the sub-assemblies, not the "top level"

Those are items I encountered today.

20. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Last edited: May 15, 2020