1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help With Set Screw Dim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketNut, Jan 11, 2020.

1. RocketNut

RocketNut Alibre Super User

:)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°):)

I am working on a simple design that needs 2 set screws. My customer wants 13mm holes for these set screws. I am wondering what standardized off the shelve metric size would be the closest to this 13mm requirement? I will also need to know what the size of the trap hole diam is.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

What (Maj Dia) size is the Set Screw? For the most part the shortest Set Screw is the Major Diameter in length. Then the progression of lengths go (depending on Maj Dia size) by mm to 10 mm, by 2 mm to 20, and by 5mm to ???, and by 10mm for longer. [Remembering something that qualifies as "historic."] -- Lew

3. GeorgD

GeorgD Member

4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello RocketNut,
    for me here in Germany the english "setscrew" can have different meanings...
    Here are only two types for example...:
    DIN EN ISO 4026 upload_2020-1-11_22-31-24.png

DIN 610 upload_2020-1-11_22-32-16.png

which one do you want?
    The first one has clearance hole diameter of 13mm (see table from GeorgD) at M12.
    The second one has a shaft of 13mm diameter with a fit "k6" and a M12 thread.
    Regards
    Stefan

5. RocketNut

Thanks, guys for the great info.

idslk:
    They want DIN EN ISO 4026 type of set screw.

Lew:
    I do not understand what are talking about. Except for the length of the screw is 20mm.

Here is screenshot of the screw holes:

Dart-Cuff_Mount ScrewHolesDetail Vert.jpg

6. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Stefan, das erste Foto zeigt eine Madenschraube (grub screw), das zweite eine passchraube (fit bolt).

7. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Sebastian,
    if you use a dictionary you will get a translation for set screw which says Madenschraube as well as Paßschraube, Stellschraube too, Anschlagschraube and and and...
    If RocketNut has used the nameing "grub screw", it would have been definitly a Madenschraube for me...(where the correct naming regarding the DIN would be Gewindestift mit Innensechskant);)

btw.
    they are both rendered alibre parts...;)

Regards
    Stefan

8. Eddy So

Eddy So Member

Try M14 x 1 screw thread. The drill hole size is around 13mm in diameter.
    2020-01-12 (1).png 2020-01-12.png

9. Lew_Merrick

Hi Stefan -- Here in the US, a Setscrew is waht you show as a "DIN EN ISO 4026" and what you show as a "DIN 610" is known as a Shoulder Screw." [Just to aid in "translation.] -- Lew

JST likes this.
  10. RocketNut

Eddy So:
    Where is the edit function shown in your attachments? I really like how it edit screw holes.

Lew:
    That's what I call them also set screws.

11. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

That's not Alibre

12. RocketNut

OH OK

Is that a script or another CAD package?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  13. Lew_Merrick

The "Tap Drill" for a M14 (X 1) hole is ø13mm so long as you are not trying to maintain (say) "75% of full thread" (the nominal standard here in the U.S.). -- Lew

14. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

Fusion 360