1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help In Drawing A Spiral

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketNut, Mar 20, 2020.

1. RocketNut

RocketNut Alibre Super User

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    OK, all you wizards out there in the CAD world. I need to draw a spiral but do not have a clue on how to do it. or even how to start it.

I have searched the forums without success.

I need at least 50mm distance between the walls as it spirals down to the center. This spiral is housed in a 350mm cylinder that is rotating to move material to the center of the said cylinder where it will be discharged out.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  2. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Hi Nut,
    If you use the Helix tool, there is an option in the dialogue box to do a "thread" or a "spiral". That is fairly easy if you are putting the
    spiral on a flat surface. If you want it on the wall of a cone, ala funnel, then I seem to remember a thread from IDSLK that shows how
    to do this. Seems he's the coil man.

What say ye, Stefan?

Attached Files:

3. RocketNut

RocketNut Alibre Super User

YEP, that's what I am looking for.

:)Thanks, oldfox :)

Looking at your spiral I see a lot of dimensions related to the circle seed. Are these dimensions required?

4. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

5. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Probably not. And I'll probably get blasted for saying that. I have done literally hundreds of projects without all of the sketches being
    Fully Defined and everything worked out OK. Just to be sure, I use the Auto Dimension tool. That throws all of those dimensions out
    there. It also usually leaves out the dimension of an entity to the axis. I have found that I can query the "size" of that dimension
    and if it isn't "driven" then I will just add it and the Fully Defined flag is triggered. Oh well. Glad it's working for you.

You can go to view and turn off sketch dimensions if you don't want to see them.