1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NateLiqGrav's Enhancement Wishlist 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NateLiqGrav, Dec 9, 2020.

1. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

OK I went thru an old list I had and updated it. These are not listed in any special order - they are just listed.

PROJECTS
    Functionality to create, edit, rename, and copy large projects with multiple drawing files, multiple level assembly files, multiple BOM files, multiple part files.

ALL WORKSPACES
    Selection Preview and Highlights for faces/parts/surfaces should render edges of the selection to prevent unidentifiable blobs of the Selection Preview / Highlights color.

Add user configurable actions to the mouse options tab for double click of mouse buttons. For example Double Click Middle mouse to perform Zoom To Fit.

Dimensions for circumference, arc length, and for arc angle.

Baseline dimensioning (select a baseline point/edge or side of existing dimension and then add dimensions using that baseline as the starting end- center dimensions and space like "reposition dimensions" - command stays active til exited)

Continuous (Chain) dimensioning (select a point/edge or side of existing dimension and then next end of dimension using previous end as start of new - center dimensions and keep aligned - command stays active til exited)

"show reference geometry" toggle and "show part in explorer" should work on the reference geometry of a part.

Stack fractions vertically and diagonally.

When using the Measure tool and selecting a planar face and anything else (parallel to that face) the tool should also list the perpendicular distance off the plane of the face to the anything else.

DRAWING WORKSPACE
    Change configuration in views in drawings.

Rotate Views (align selected edge of part horizontal/vertical/or set angle)

Copy and paste selected views with their details/text/dimensions intact. Red anything that broke when pasted.

Restructure and expand the Standard Views Creation dialog like this image for better workflow.
    NEW Standard Views Creation.png

Save Expanded/"More Options" state of Standard Views Creation dialog.

Add option to the Standard Views Creation dialog to include notes in the view with that part's name.

Add option to the Standard Views Creation dialog to include notes of bend angle for sheet metal parts.

Change mouse cursor and add a hint about zoom and pan movements when mousing over preview in the Standard Views Creation dialog.
    Zoom Hint.png

Sort the Design dropdown list on the Standard Views Creation dialog in a natural sorted alphanumerical way.

Shorten M-files paths in the Design dropdown list on the Standard Views Creation dialog. Things like this are basically useless to users:
    "M:\Alibre\ID2\09E883CE-4ADD-4B82-8CDE-03CA11BC2290\0\14000-14999\14999\L\L\TOP PLATE(ID 14999).AD_PRT"
    Instead something like this would be better:
    "M:\Alibre\... TOP PLATE(ID 14999).AD_PRT"

Remove the automatic zoom that happens when clicking ok on the Standard Views Creation dialog.

Add a dropdown list selection to Drawing toolbars for changing Dimension Style. When changed - If objects are already selected change their Dimension Style. If none are selected then change active default Dimension Style for new objects.

Add a dropdown list selection to Drawing toolbars for changing Layer. When changed - If objects are already selected change their Layer. If none are selected then change active default Layer for new objects.

PART WORKSPACE
    Combine Thinwall features into their respective regular features dialog so that Thinwall is just an option to toggle at the bottom.
    CombinedExtrude.png

SKETCHES
    A midline constraint selecting two lines should automatically place a node with a midline constraint to both lines.

Include option in Analyze Sketch tool to zoom in on problem.

Include option in Analyze Sketch tool to find figures with "target no longer found" errors and offer user options to redefine or remove association with target.

Quick Trim - Draws a path when left mouse is held down and then when the left mouse is released it trims anything it's path crossed.

ASSEMBLY WORKSPACE

A button at the top of the Design Explorer to Return To Parent for when editing parts/subassemblies.
    ReturnToParent.png

Constraints should always take precedence in calculating InterDesign Constraints and should not be broken by InterDesign Constraints.

Ability to disable/suppress selected InterDesign Constraints (currently delete is the only option).

Some previews don't take into account the position of the parts/subassemblies being "Edited Here" in the assembly.
    PREVIEW WRONG.png

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    captaine, cadtec, swertel and 2 others like this.
  2. sz0k30

sz0k30 Senior Member

WOW! My head almost exploded, but in a good way!

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  3. NateLiqGrav

FYI there are also other things I have asked to be fixed/enhanced through support and still want those fixed/enhanced.

4. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

This is a good list. Your PART WORKSPACE enhancement is the very close to one that I submitted shortly after I started using Alibre along with some Sheet Metal enhancements. I had images very similar to what you posted but they got lost with the old forum binaries library. That seems like a simple thing to do but I have no idea of the programming involved, seems like an IF-THEN or GOTO in the program.
    That would also make the Thin Extrude more visible as an option to those using the ribbon, one that I think a lot of users are missing out on. The least that could happen is move all the Thin features to the top level ribbon instead on left on a drop down. Its placement on the menu is fine.

5. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Lovin' all of these and back every one.

jfleming likes this.
  6. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Lots of good stuff here. Not all of it a major thing for me though.

7. NateLiqGrav

Alibre Design is a good program. It needs some large things but mostly finer polishing to remove the burrs.

cadtec, TimoCAD and bigseb like this.
  8. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Agreed, especially if it wants to hang with the big boys.

TimoCAD likes this.
  9. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Nate's list is the kind of 'release note' content I'd like to see on a 'sooner rather than later' major version release. :)

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  10. danwilley

danwilley Member

+1 —> Nate’s list
    Yes, sooner than later!

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  11. NateLiqGrav

Here is another I run into ALL the time:

When using the Measure tool and selecting a planar face and anything else (parallel to that face) the tool should also list the perpendicular distance off the plane of the face to the anything else.

For example it's usually useless for me to know the distance from one edge of a face to another edge of a different face when I select to two parallel planar faces - But I really need to know the perpendicular distance.

Current work around is to add a plane to the face and then measure from that plane and then delete the plane when done measuring.

MilesH likes this.
  12. HaroldL

o_Oo_Oo_O
    Do you have a screen shot of what you mean?
    If you measure the distance from a planar face to another parallel planar face isn't that distance perpendicular to both faces?

OR are you talking about the "indicator" line that is from the edge of one face to an edge of the other face that shows the distance?

13. NateLiqGrav

That indicator line IS showing the distance listed but it is not perpendicular. Perhaps it is supposed to be but isn't working due to some rounding error?

upload_2021-1-5_13-37-18.png
    upload_2021-1-5_13-37-30.png
    upload_2021-1-5_13-37-50.png
    upload_2021-1-5_13-38-0.png

Brandon_Velmex and simonb65 like this.
  14. HaroldL

Oh, okay. I misunderstood the issue. I thought you were measuring in a Part workspace and not the Assembly ws. Should have picked up on that from the "anything else" comment.
    If the parts are aligned to the default axes then delta X, Y or Z would give you that distance but likely as not the parts are not aligned to the default axes so that won't work.

15. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Nate,

have you tried this (i assume the "face of beam" is perpendicular to you selected faces):
    upload_2021-1-5_23-31-51.png

Regards
    Stefan

16. HaroldL

That's one option that IS NOT covered in the Help manual. But just checking it now, you need to select a plane/face that is Perpendicular to the two faces that are being measured. That's helpful to know. Too bad it's not documented.

17. NateLiqGrav

I do use that sometimes but it only "constrains" that indicator line to the projection plane which may or may not help. X,Y,Z coordinates become U,V coordinates. Also of note I have documented a bug with using Projected on Plane where the measurement tool doesn't clear after closing and then sometimes breaks when trying to use it again.

@HaroldL I did some more testing and as long as the two faces "overlap" it gives me a perpendicular measurement but if they don't "overlap" then it tries to get shortest distance from the edges. Seems like a good way to screw up a design with the measurement tool doing that.

18. HaroldL

:confused:
    Did you test this with Project on Plane?
    For this test I selected the edge face of the panel for the Projection Plane and it looks like it's working for me, the measurement matches the Offset value:
    PerpDistance.png

Here's my assy in case anyone wants to double check my work. And I did change the part name when I Saved As the assembly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  19. NateLiqGrav

Yes I tested it. You try again with my attachment.
    upload_2021-1-6_11-54-39.png

Attached Files:

20. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Nate's onto something here. If your parts are not aligned to AD standard planes then the perpendicular value doesn't work.