1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to another computer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tk1247, Dec 28, 2020.

1. tk1247

tk1247 Member

I'm getting a faster computer soon, and want to move my Alibre install from the current one to the new one. I think I know how to do that, but I want to check on a few things:

- Regarding the license, I have a regular one, so my understanding is that I just start Alibre in the old computer, release the license, then install and start again on the new computer, and it will pick it up, correct? I don't have to enter or transfer any keys or anything?

- When I install in the new computer, would it be better to download the software from the website, or can I just use the download/update in the old computer? I notice in Program Data there is an update folder with downloads in it. Could I for instance use the latest 22.0.3 and install that way (ie, is it a standalone install or just update), or do I need to install 22.0, and then updates?

BTW, I'm planning on moving from an Intel Xeon 3.6GHz W2123 4 core, 16G ram with an nVida Quadro P2000 to a AMD 3.5GHz Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core, 32G ram, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super w/8G ram. Both systems are SSD drives. How much improvement might I see in Alibre operation?

Just trying to head off some trouble ahead of time
    Thanks

2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Yes, release the licence on you old machine first. You'll have to enter the licence in on your new computer to activate it. So, take a note of it from your current license info page on your old install first.

You can use the latest setup .exe in the old PC's updates folder, as it's the same as the one that you would download from the Alibre website anyway! ... and it is a full install, not just an incremental update package.

It will be better in both rendering and file load/save than your old machine ... by how much? only you will be able to quantify that by comparing them!

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

New computer day, huzzah :)

Exactly.

Just download the latest version from the website and install that.

Cool, similar to my current setup. AD will run better, although honestly AD is its own greatest enemy in that regard.

4. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

THIS!

5. tk1247

tk1247 Member

By "make a note of the old license", do you mean just the license key, or that plus the machine id, etc.?

6. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Just the license key. You should prolly write it down somewhere if you haven't down so already.

7. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Just the Licence Key.

8. danwilley

danwilley Member

Hello Tk1247,

I will also soon be replacing my 9 yo system (that is similar to your old system, maybe slower) with a higher end Ryzen 9 based processor and higher end graphics card. I am looking at my options but narrowing down the specs. Once you get your new system up and running, I would be really interested in your thoughts on your perceived performance improvements... especially with complex assembly animation within Alibre. Keyshot rendering will certainly be better (multi core and thread). Also, what monitor (or monitors) are you getting? 27” 32”, ultra-wide? (Given your graphics card choice, I am assuming 4K monitor.)

Thanks in advance,
    Dan