1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Inserted Catalog Item

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by tk1247, Jul 10, 2019.

1. tk1247

tk1247 Member

I am trying to insert a hex shape that I created using the polygon feature, then saved as a catalog item, but when I then try to use that item, after initial placement in the part, I can't move it anymore. There doesn't seem to be an anchor to grab or anything. I've read what I could find in the forum, but I can't seem to make it work. I suspect it has something to do with saved constraints, but I can't figure it out. I'd appreciate the help doing this.

2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello tk1247,

it is a feature you've inserted. It is not an part into an assembly. Once you've placed the feature you can only change its position with editing the sketch of the feature. It behaves as all the other features in a part.

Regards
    Stefan

3. tk1247

tk1247 Member

OK, I get that. I created a part (extruded rectangle), and inserted the catalog feature. I would like to constrain it using equation dimensions, but I find in the equation editor that the only values present are those for the catalog feature, not for the body it's placed on. I've tried creating reference lines, etc, but that doesn't work. The only thing that seems to work is projecting the face to the catalog sketch, making the associations, then deleting the projected lines before extruding, etc. Is that the only way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, or am I missing something? Thanks for the help!

4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello tk1247,
    have you fully dimensioned your rectangle? If not, you won't see any dimensions in the editor...
    if you project them to the sketch, do this as reference lines and you don't have to delete them before extruding...

Regards
    Stefan

5. tk1247

tk1247 Member

Stefan, thanks for the help. I had thought that accepting the dimensions as sketched for the rectangle assigned a dimension. When I fully dimensioned it, they appeared in the editor, as you said. Projected lines as references didn't help with this, because they don't appear in the editor either. I do wish it was possible to drag the inserted catalog feature on the part, instead of just constraining it. Is it possible to insert a catalog feature into another sketch - it doesn't appear to be.

6. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi tk1247 -- As somebody who is colorblind to red, I can barely make use of Catalog Features. Just saying... -- Lew

7. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

but you can use them for dimensions and this dimensions will appear in the editor.
    Bad idea! Accustom yourself to use constraints or dimensions to fully define your made geometry. If you don't do this your models will be unstable!
    The catalog feature is made for this. You can choose a different plane or face an place the catalog feature again, as you can place it multiple times on the same(or different) plane or face without leaving the feature window.
    upload_2019-7-11_8-22-43.png
    see also the "Help"
    upload_2019-7-11_8-24-52.png
    Regards
    Stefan

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Lew,
    you can change the colors for the Catalog Feature:
    upload_2019-7-11_8-33-37.png upload_2019-7-11_8-30-22.png upload_2019-7-11_8-30-38.png upload_2019-7-11_8-31-53.png
    Regards
    Stefan

9. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

Windows 10:
    Go to Settings / Ease of Access / Color and High Contrast.
    Toggle Apply Filter on.
    Choose Deutaranopia, Protanopia or Tritanopia from the dropdown menu.
    After the toggle is turned on, you can turn the color filter on and off using the keyboard shortcut Windows key + Ctrl + C

Look At The Red Flowers! Windows 10 Now Includes Help For Color Blindness

Just saying...

10. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Ralf -- If I wanted a "dumb phone," I would have bought a "dumb phone." I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. -- Lew

11. tk1247

tk1247 Member

I previously have used several cad programs that offered "snap to" various drawing points, like midpoint, corner, intersection, etc., and I got used to that. I have to get used to AD in that you can only snap to grid points, and need to constrain or dimension everything else. No problem, just have to remember. Is there a reason why AD doesn't use snap to other than grid? Has this been discussed elsewhere?

12. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello tk1247,
    i never use snap to grid as far as i draw things which have dimensions like 22.15mm and 8.96mm and so on... The grid would be annoying or extremly narrow steped so it's off all the time.
    Snaping to midpont, endpoint , interference points and so on is ofcourse available in sketching mode and applies constraints to your lines...
    Even the "Help" is not the Best, but this is also described there.
    Regards
    Stefan

13. tk1247

tk1247 Member

Hi Stefan,
    Yes, via constraints, I can accomplish some snapping as you describe, but it is still not the same as grabbing figure by a node or reference point and dragging it to the snap location - to me it's just faster. While I'm on the subject, I still do wish there was a built in, one step, constrain a figure between two other figures, kind of the complement to the existing symmetric constraint. Hope that's coming up sometime.

14. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

can you make a screenshot with a little description?
    can you make a screenshot and description for this too?
    Regards
    Stefan

15. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

No this hasn't really come up before. And I agree it would very useful.

16. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello colleagues,

sometimes, if you change your approach to do something, also your needs change...;)
    It would be nice to have a "real world" scenario where a "centering" of 3 sketch figures should be done (it's not enough to say i have 2 rectangles and a circle...). My last use for such a function was in a presentation software and the "job" was: it has to look good, nothing more...
    Maybe the forum can find a way to do this with minimum on mouse and keyboard artistic (or maybe not, we probably will see...).

Regards
    Stefan

17. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Since CorelDRAW added this feature, it has been a dream to use it for my artwork :) That snaps to nodes, edges too.

18. tk1247

tk1247 Member

That's what I'm talking about. I've seen it in things like TurboCad, Autodesk products, Rhino, etc. It doesn't replace dimensioning or constraints to obtain precise model definition, but it does make feature placement much easier on the fly, while you're trying to piece together a design prior to properly defining it.

The other thing I was talking about, centering a feature between two other features, is something like what Simon is referring to, ie if you have a rectangle feature and want to quickly center another feature between two sides. I've seen that in many other cad packages as well.

Somewhat surprised that these two things are not already in AD, to make sketching a bit easier.

Regards,
    Tom

19. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

For me snapping is a relict of 2D cad 25 years ago.
    To change something you redraw it.
    I don't want to go back to that and have never missed it.
    Dimension and constrain allows changes and incremental workflows.
    Us it.
    Don

20. tk1247

tk1247 Member

Don,
    I respectfully disagree. I didn't say to use snapping as a replacement for dimensioning/contraining, but as a sketch aid to initially place features. It just makes generating and placing features a bit easier initially. Then you dimension and constrain as required to finalize the sketch when it looks like you want it to look. Any tool I can use to speed up sketch creation is a plus for me. I also realize it's not everybody's cup of tea
    Tom