1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modify STL model

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Kunstmaan, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Kunstmaan

Kunstmaan Alibre Super User

I Am asked to modify a part that only exists as STL file.
    In the ealier days I could import this into Alibre.

So I need a way to convert this to a format that Alibre can use.

Any suggestions

Mareike

2. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

Easiest for me is to use Fusion 360 (import STL, convert the mesh to BREP, and save as STEP)

You can also use FreeCAD.

3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Like Hunter says, import into something that can convert it into step format and then import the step into AD. But I would go one step further and remodel completely in AD as the import will basically be a million little surfaces (you'll need the imported step for reference measurements.)

4. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

Agreed, I would also remodel once inside AD.

5. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

7. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Mareike -- The question is one of "How many basic operations are needed to define this Model?" It is possible to perform a SaveAs and create a (if you will) Base01, Base02, ... BaseQN file set that could "define" the Sketch needed for each "operation." A Sketch using ProjectToSketch may then be created, exported to a Drawing File, and then re-loaded to create the Geometry needed to generate an entirely "new" & "native" Alibre file. This approach eliminates many of the "problems" associated with imported STEP geometry. ??? -- Lew