1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mirror Part

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin931, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Kevin931

Kevin931 Member

I've got several parts drawn up utilizing the sheetmetal functions. I need to create a duplicate part that is for an opposing side, so basically mirror the part from left handed to right handed. Is this possible without redrawing the part from scratch?

2. MKR

MKR Member

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Kevin -- I have been "complaining" about this for quite a while. My "suggestion" has been to allow a Configuration to be created and the Bend Angles to be reversed to create an Opposite Hand SMT Part. However over the nearly decade I have been so "complaining," nothing has been done. So, what I do is to SaveAs the "base file" to an Opposite Hand Identity, delete Features "back" to the initial Flange and regenerate the SMT Part with "reversed" Bends. Sorry, that is all I could come up with. -- Lew

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

As per previous post - take your SMP, boolean unite it into an ordinary part workspace then mirror it. You have the opposite handed part. Now if you really need it to be a full SMP - use 'convert to sheet metal' on the new part. In reality your existing SMP with a note to reverse all bends may well be adequate.

An option to 'reverse all bends' in an SMP configuration would be cool.

simonb65 and renegade4130 like this.
  5. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

+1, maybe a good little script in the interim!

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Simon - no script in SMP...

7. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Ah! ... that's not gonna help then! :rolleyes:

8. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Yes!!! Wonderful idea!!! -- Lew

9. Kevin931

Kevin931 Member

Thanks for the help guys. Wish there was a simple way to do it but for now I figured it out best I can with what we have to work with.

10. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

The assembly Mirror "pattern" lets you mirror Parts and Subassemblies directly in the assembly - doesn't it work with Sheet Metal parts too? I'm away from my desk but I thought it did.

TimoCAD likes this.